LegacyGT.com

Black watery/oily liquid in exhuast tips

I just did my 5k oil change and after the change as the car was idling i was checkin out my exhuast tips i noticed a black watery/oily substance in the tip, i whipped it off then check 5 min later (still iding) and there was some more. It wasn't dripping or pouring out of the tip, it would just sit at the very end of the tip. Is this normal?

No this is not normal, you may have a bad case of oil consumption. Does the car tick slightly at idle? If so then you are not getting proper lubrication to the valve gear and are going to be burning the oil that does get up there because it is getting too hot. Take the car to the dealer immediately and ask them to take a look, I would hate to see more damage done to the motor. Eventually the heat will ruin the temper on the cams and valve stems and you will lunch the valve gear. Tell the dealer to check the RE92's, they are most likely the cause of the lubrication problem.

Just kidding, this is normal water vapor in the exhaust mixing with the carbon from combustion. Relax.

There is a lot of carbon buildup on LGTs due to the very rich state they run in when at or near full throttle. When it is cool out and the engine hasn't warmed up, you'll get a lot of condensation in the exhaust which will mix with the carbon and make a nice black liquid.

In short: it's normal.

Mine does it too. Not a problem
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

No this is not normal, you may have a bad case of oil consumption. Does the car tick slightly at idle? If so then you are not getting proper lubrication to the valve gear and are going to be burning the oil that does get up there because it is getting too hot. Take the car to the dealer immediately and ask them to take a look, I would hate to see more damage done to the motor. Eventually the heat will ruin the temper on the cams and valve stems and you will lunch the valve gear. Tell the dealer to check the RE92's, they are most likely the cause of the lubrication problem.

HAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Just kidding, this is normal water vapor in the exhaust mixing with the carbon from combustion. Relax.

haha ass my stomach just dropped :lol:

haha ass my stomach just dropped :lol:

Hey, I couldn't resist. Anytime I can bash the RE92's, and get someone worried I have to fight the devil on my shoulder to not do it.

On a side note, I occasionaly clean the exhast tips on the car to be rid of the black grime. Soap and water works pretty well, and if you want to give them a good polishing, Flitz works really well.

I like my tips dirty. :dm:

Maybe I should try that instead of cleaning them ever again. If I could figure out a way to get that really cool black soot all over the rear bumper I would try that too. Dirty tips and soot all over the bumper are a sure sign of POWER!!

Dirty tips and soot all over the bumper are a sure sign of POWER!!

No, A slightly melted bumper from a $200 body kit with black soot all over it and cutouts for dual tips but only having a single pipe is a sure sign of P0w3r!!!

OB hidden tips FTW!!!

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

you really hate these tires ... :icon_tong HAHAHA LMAO

I love my car ... basically.

Archived