LegacyGT.com

Drove a 6sp TSX and TL

I have always liked both cars so while waiting for my car I drove both, a few days in between. First up was the TL.

TL: Starting up the car provides a nice deep tone, engine and exhaust sound great, liked it a lot. Took it out on 22 (for you NJ people) and gave it a hard run. First of all the power is smooooooth, sounds great and has power everywhere, (mind you I have been driving the Geo for the past month). Got off 22 into some Bridgewater back roads and pushed the car hard, tires squealing and all, this car is a pig! I don't know what tires it had, it gripped alright but the car is too nose heavy. Not as much torque steer as I thought but a lot of understeer. Handling..The TL is more of a touring car not a sports sedan, my LGT with rear cusco handled a bit better. Sure the TL is fast but you have to keep it in a straight line-and now onto this. I got back on 22 and nailed it, 1st gear was fine until I hit VTEC around 5500, lit the tires up. 2nd gear was fine until VTEC again but once it came on a little bit of torque steer. You have to pay attention when getting on it in this car, no WOT around a curve. The interior quality is very nice, a good amount better than the LGT but then again the TL is $8k more. Stereo was excellent, blue gauges were sweet along with the dash. My problem with the car...it just felt too chunky, it almost surrounds you too much, feels a little bloaty. Nice but not for me.

TSX: Sat in it and immediately felt at home, I'm 6' 185. It was very comfortable just sitting there playing with the toys..and boy does it have toys. Voice recognition Navi/Stereo/bluetooth, Memory heated seats, xenons, decent stereo, again the blue gauges which I love! On to the drive-get out on 22 the car is very smooth, not TL smooth but nice and quiet. I had an 04 Accord 4cyl so the engine is pretty much the same with a little 700rpm band of the vtec switchover, haha!! The gearbox is pretty much one of the best I have ever felt. Very similar to the S2k, a little better than the Civic Si which is almost perfect. Sorry I don't mean to be Honda bias but I do love them. Short precise throws, snicks into each gear. This car was a lot easier to drive smoothly than the TL. Even driving the geo this TSX was not that fast, I think it's a 7.2 0-60 which is alright but it could really use another 30-40 hp. Got it into the same turns as the TL, this thing is fun to drive!! A TON more nimble than the TL, more confidence inspiring, it was fun and comfortable to drive at 8/10. Got back onto 22 again did a 0-75 run, nothing special but smooth and quiet. I got out of the car with a big smile on my face, much bigger than the TL. Yeah the TL would rock the TSX in a straight line but that's it. TSX has all the features pretty much, more fun to drive for me, a bit cheaper too.

If they had the 2.3 turbo in the TSX now, I would have one sitting in my driveway.

more power and AWD...

its a nice car and i looked at it...

good low end ...no middle ...decent top end

but it leaves you unsatisfied overall on the performance factor.I would rather take the fully loaded v6 accord with the 6MT...save over the TL on price and get better performance than the TSX (maybe not as good an interior)

My problem with the car...it just felt too chunky, it almost surrounds you too much, feels a little bloaty. Nice but not for me.

this is what steered me away too. the features were nice, but i didn't want to be bored with the car in 1-2 yrs. at least sounds like you got to drive a 6mt. only 5at's at the lots i visited.

I would rather take the fully loaded v6 accord with the 6MT...save over the TL on price and get better performance than the TSX

i probably would too, except you run into the same problem mmm def was describing above......bloaty and chunky. probably worse, as the suspension would be softer than the tl's. if the v6 could be dropped into the tsx, acura would have a winner, though at the likely expense of the tl.

Best buddy has a 04 TL A-Spec handles pretty good for a FWD platform.

He racks up the miles....avgs 27mpg @ 80:)

If they put the same powertrain in it.... as the RL has.....I'd give it another look in a couple yrs;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hyundai Azera for me thanks. All the features, plenty of power (263hp) without waiting for VTEC -- like no other engine has variable timing these days... More hp, more torque (lots more of both than the TSX) without the gimmicks.

Mom's gets 27+ mpg on the highway and the 5spd automatic is very responsive. From 60 to 120 it held its ground with a Lexus SC430 too.

It's no corner carver but it is extremely roomy and well built. It also has the nifty LED tails for the win :D

Hyundai Azera for me thanks. All the features, plenty of power (263hp) without waiting for VTEC -- like no other engine has variable timing these days... More hp, more torque (lots more of both than the TSX) without the gimmicks.

Mom's gets 27+ mpg on the highway and the 5spd automatic is very responsive. From 60 to 120 it held its ground with a Lexus SC430 too.

It's no corner carver but it is extremely roomy and well built. It also has the nifty LED tails for the win :D

No manual = no thanks.

We had both cars before. First the TSX, wife enjoys the power but everytime she uses the LGT she says that the handling and power is a lot better. Traded the TSX for a C230 Kompressor in 6 months. Traded the C230 in less than 6 months and got the TL. The TL has a lot of power but you can feel the heaviness of the car. The TL and TSX has all the bell and whistles that you would want and for the price you can't beat that. By the way just sold the TL last night, Lexus GS 300 took it's place in the garage.

those koreans are giving teh japanese a run for their money....wait till the chinese get in ...then the indians...and whts after....russian Lada's and african donkey carts LOL....motoring at its finest

those koreans are giving teh japanese a run for their money....wait till the chinese get in ...then the indians...and whts after....russian Lada's and african donkey carts LOL....motoring at its finest

The latest sonota while not a corner carver does 0-60 in 6.6 and the azera is around there depending on what review you read

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2511b.shtml

Although an avalon with 18"s and some springs would be pimp too ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Yeah the new Hyundais are really coming along nicely. Everybody says Watch out in 10 years they will be as good as Honda/Toyota...where will Honda/Toyota be in 10 years?

Everybody has to start somewhere, H and T weren't always up top.

10 years?! I dunno. To me Hyundai is already above Mitsubishi. :D

Nissan is next on their target in terms of overall quality. I used to never even bat my eyes on Samsungs or LGs. But now they are one of the top tear electronic makers in the world. And in terms of LCD monitors, Samsung is right up there.

Anh Yoong Ha Say Yo!!!

Archived