LegacyGT.com

ac always blows heat

fwellers

Hello,

My wife was complaining that her 02 outback with auto ac, always had warm/hot air coming out of the vents while driving even when the AC is off.

I just noticed that my 06 legacy ltd sedan does the same thing.

Does anyone know why this happens ? Is there a way to stop it ?

Thanks,

floyd

Yeah, before everyone posts for you to search cuz this has been covered a billion times ;).......I'll give you a quickie "to try"

Turn your AC on, turn the heat to 70, switch the vent to floor only, turn OFF the ac. You will notice it won't be blowing outta the vents....whatever "state" you shut the AC of that's where the air flowing through the engine comes......you can also try turning on the "cabin air recirc" so no flow comes from outside...

Search away you'll find all sorts of good info :D

yeah my bad, you gotta get it "off" "auto" So do all that I said above but instead of turning the system on by hitting the auto button....just it the up on the "fan speed" button, then turn the heat down like I stated before put it on the floor.....then shut it off....

If you don't hit the auto button to turn it on you won't be in auto mode and it's semi-manual......I have to do something like this cuz I've never had the problem :D (and if I did it would drive me NUTZ, I hate air blow'n on me)

I hate this climate control system. Scans is correct in that the temp flapper stays in the last position it was when the system was on, but here's the kicker that's driving you crazy.

No matter what state you have the recirculate setting on (outside vent or recirculate) whenever you turn the system off, it _always_ switches to outside vent. So with the system off, just hit the recirc button until you see the recirculate symbol light up and it'll stop blowing hot air. You have to do this everytime you turn the system off.

If you want vent, and cool (somewhat) air, you have to follow scans directions. Turn the system back on, set the temp to 65, then turn off. If will set the temp flapper to max cool, which will still be warmer than ambient outside since it blows in through the engine compartment. Better than blazin hot though!

Ok, so choices are:

1) turn system on by using fan button ( manual mode ), set mode to point to feet, set temp to 65, and turn off.

or

2) do the same as above, but after it is off, hit the circ/recirc button until it shows recirculating.

Does that about cover it ?

you can just turn reciric off while the whole system is off. it'll close the vent even if nothign else is happening.

people bash the HVAC system in this car, but i find it terribly intuitive and great in the performance category.

dR

Archived