LegacyGT.com

Thule Atlantis 1200 + 05 Legacy Wagon

PacCoastFwy923

Superb write-up - one of the best I've seen.

This is my wagon with a 16 CF Yakima Pro Box. I really don't like it out in the slipstream (over the windshield) where it rattles and bounces unless it's well-packed/loaded. So I set it back further where, if I'm not careful, the spoiler will hit the back edge of the bos when you open the hatch. I just use a good heavy microfiber cloth between the two so there's no rubbing/scratching.

I do like Yakima's attachment system (which is only 1/2 of Thule's "claw" as you called it), but is much thicker (more substantial perhaps) and the 2-sided opening, using the triple ball locks/hinges, has been totally problem free, even under the circumstances you identified.

Using the stock cross-bar kit with this box, doesn't leave any space up top, and even moving to the 48" Yakima bars doesn't do enough, but, using the 58" bars enables me to configure the roof real estate similar to how you have your's set up.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the Yakima setup, but could easily see moving to the Thule Atlantis or even the Thule Boxter (but would need some save time for that bad boy).

1068504048_YakimaProBox1.thumb.jpg.0ec866c44ea7b0990c931ba85da94ad2.jpg

384878556_YakimaProBox2.JPG.6e45a0bea3b836e5e2f1f2364a4ba560.JPG

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have an 05 Outback, and when I put my Thule Excursion XT on the factory rack it rides so low that I can't open the sunroof ...the front part of it lifts upwards ... That's when it hit the box

Did you have this problem?

From your pictures it doesn't look like this would be a problem, but that means I'm going to have to buy towers and bars. What towers did you buy to fit the factory rack?

BTW, the snow is pretty good in Utah right now...I'm going up tomorrow!

You bastard! Go on, rub it in. After a few years of great 20 day seasons, I didn't ski once last year, and I probably won't be getting up this season, either -- too many family commitments keeping me busy. I'm envious. But I digress...

As you've probably already determined, the Outback raised roof rails are completely different from the Legacy imbedded rails, and I recall that the two versions use different towers. I don't recall the model of Yakima tower I have, but it one of two choices at the time, and the other didn't lock.

In any case, no, I don't have the sunroof interference you describe. The box sits above the open glass by a healthy margin.

PacCoast - I just bought a Tribeca and am looking at putting a box on the roof using the factory crossbar mounts. (I don't have the rails, just the crossbars.) Could you please measure how far the back of the box is to the middle of the back bar? (I understand that you have the mounts in the box as far back as possible in order to place the box as far forward as possible.)

Thanks so much, BT.

Subietonic, may be a long shot but is that a small Forum sticker on your rear driver's side pillar?

No it's my Navy rank sticker (MCPO).

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm on the look out for a new box.

The Atlantis 1200 was awesome, but in the end I couldn't put my 205 or 210cm long XC skiis in there. Before I hitched it wasn't a problem as I can fit them in the back.

Now I'm looking for another box that'll fit 210cm long skiis up top with all the other gear..

Anyone know of a box that'll fit a pair of 210cm skiis on the 05 wags that'll still let me open the rear hatch without interfering with the box?

Well, I'm on the look out for a new box.

The Atlantis 1200 was awesome, but in the end I couldn't put my 205 or 210cm long XC skiis in there. Before I hitched it wasn't a problem as I can fit them in the back.

Now I'm looking for another box that'll fit 210cm long skiis up top with all the other gear..

Anyone know of a box that'll fit a pair of 210cm skiis on the 05 wags that'll still let me open the rear hatch without interfering with the box?

Claw - would a set of 190 XC skiis fit into the Atlantis 1200?? I'm debating whether to get to rooftop carrier (preferred) or the Yakima Powderhound.

If a set of 190cm skiis will fit into the Atlantis 1200, that's the preferred route for me.

bochinam, Thanks, I'll check it out. When I went to my rack dealer they said the Lo-Pro wouldn't fit with our Canadian-spec low profile crossbars. I was given a set of US-spec crossbars last summer that look just like yours.

I'm looking at the Thule Boxter which is 1k Canadian (or if I can find out south of the border when I go on my roadtrip for significantly less I'll get it there).

nx2000, the Thule web site states the 1200 as capable of fitting a 192cm ski. Your best bet is to take a ski into your local rack store and test fit. If you're in the Edmonton Alberta area mine is for sale at the moment. ;)

btw a box is significantly more than the Powderhounds you're looking at.

I sold my 1200 last week to another Subie owner.

It was a woman.

Her partner, was a woman.

They drove a Forester.

zomg.. how stereotypical is that??! Never thought I'd say "I sold my box to a pair of lesbians driving a Subie Forester."

• 1 year later...

Haha, another Bear here. Just bought a 2011 Audi Q5, and saw the OP's review on Amazon. I'm considering the 1600 or 1800 models (only difference is the 1800 is a little longer). Most of my sticks are right around 178 (I have two pairs of 178's, and a pair of 176's), which is the length limit on the 1600. My wife's sticks are all shorter, so no issue there.

The price difference is only $50, and you get an extra 2 cubic feet of space with the 1800, but I'm a little worried about it being 47 pounds (the 1600 is still 42 pounds), which sounds fairly heavy to move around, store, and obviously put on and off the vehicle.

I'll probably head over to REI and play with both models to see how I feel in person. I checked the Audi forums, and both should clear my rear hatch just fine.

Thanks to the OP for such a great write-up.

• 2 months later...
That really sticks out into the slipstream doesn't it. How's the noise? Any buffeting? And it looks like you're using your CDM aero crossbars...how's the fit?

Yeah, that's the bad part.. it sticks out a tad bit past the top edge of the windshield. Noise wise it isn't any worse than the 1200.

Buffetting isn't too bad. It's got a solid piece of square metal running down the middle of this thing so it's well designed. The adjustable mounting rails are also a lot stiffer than the Atlantis 1200 that I had previously, and plus my skiis fit in this one.

Archived