LegacyGT.com

GT Wagon vs. WRX Wagon?

Hi guys, have been lurking on the forum for a while now (including NASOIC), and really find all of your posts and information informative.

I've been a Subie fan for some time, and came close to pulling the trigger on a then 05 STi (got a '04 A4 ultrasport for fiance instead)...

Anyhow, I've got the itch to replace my current ride, a 01 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4, that I use as my daily driver and outdoor rec. vehicle, and have narrowed my choices to the Subaru's above (as well as looked/test driven the Audi A3). $40k for a 6cylinder A3 is a bit too rich for me...

So I test drove a 06' WRX Wagon with leather, and really like the fact it's inexpensive and powerful. The model didn't have short throw shifter, and I found the shifter a bit long and sloppy (from our A4 with short-throw shifter I installed) but figured I'd have to get used to it and replace with short shifter down the road. The salesman told me to consider a Legacy Wagon, GT, but as I understand it, the 06's don't have MT option.

I like the fact the Legacy is more 'upscale', has a panoramic sunroof option, but haven't had the opportunity to test drive one (esp. with an Auto transmission mated to the 2.5turbo).

What do you guys think? opinions? How does the auto tranny go with the turbo motor? I've heard both good and bad about this. I would actually prefer an auto tranny with a DSG-type shift (that was fun), but regular auto with sport stick is good too...how about handling, ride? Would I be making too big a compromise for comfort with a WRX wagon? Should I just wait for 07' models to see if they bring back a MT for the Legacy wagon? Thanks for your opinions guys!

I went to the dealer with all intentions of buying a forrester XT and walked out with the papers to a Legacy GT wagon. I bought an 05 left over with a stick, there are still some outhere. I say go test drive the Legacy GT and you will want it and check all your dealers for 05 leftover, they look identical to the 06 pretty much. And you will get a killer deal!

Same here, Jeff B. Went in determined to get a Forester XT 5-spd and wound up with the Legacy GT Ltd wagon. Mine is a 5EAT though, I had to consider the amount of time I'd be crawling in Atlanta's rush hour traffic (somewhere around 5th in nation's worst currently).

I kinda doubt Subaru will bring back the 5-spd wagon for '07, not unless there is a Big responce from the public and demand from the dealers. They probably saved a few pennies by not having to certify the 5spd along with the 5EAT.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...comPletely lost track of this thread and should probably do this in PM but...

For the first non-manual car I've had since 1977, I think it matches very well. There is, of course, the waiting for the turbo to kick in (shrugs) but once it spools it's a definate Kick.

At 11,157 miles / 183 days old it has consumed 524 gallons of Premium and averaged 20.9 mpg over its short life. Fuel milage has generally, but definately improves since 3,000 miles (19.4 MPG) to its current 22.1MPG.

I don't believe there are many cars in it's class that perform as well, or have the combination of sport + performance that the Leggy has. Yes, like any car there are things that could be improved, even minor things that would do so very much to improve the ergonomics, (pretty much covered in other threads though)

CAP

I went from a '04 WRX wagon 5mt to a '05 Legacy GT 5mt Limited wagon and never looked back. The legacy is alot more refined and quiet. I don't get all the road noise and hear the gravel pinging off the wheel wells.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived