LegacyGT.com

speeding ticket. from NJ, got it in MD

mmanus88

Next time pick out a rabbit and drive a bit behind him so if you see him slam his brakes you can slam yours and he will get the ticket while you cruise by him. Next time go 74 in a 65 and you'll probably be safe.

What he said.

I drive nearly 20,000 miles a year on the highway. I sold my radar detectors long ago and set the cruise at 74 because most of the time anyone going faster is just going to bounce off some SUV in the passing lane and doesn't get there any faster.

There was an article in the Globe this weekend. getting a ticket for 20mph over in MA will cost on average $806 after points on your insurance. When you have out of state plates, you're an easy target.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Advice: get a lawer and he will fight for you....

It WILL show up, nowadays, DMS's, RMV's, etc are all connected, and they do share violations database.....

So in the long run, after paying your lawer 300ish you will sabe on insurance the upcoming years....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

well the guy was "friendly" in a professional manner, but he did not have any room for negotiation, despite how courteous i was to him. im just trying to figure out if i will get points for this offense. if so i don't think it iwll be more than 2, and because it takes around 6 months (apparently) for this MD ticket to show up on my record, I was thinking about doing to a little defensive driving course thing and getting it wiped off before anyone even notices the points. it being sunday and all, the DMV for any state is closed, so im restricted to what you guys have to say for now.

Yeah, unfortunately MD state troopers are pretty tough. I got pulled over a few years ago, think it was 10 over, guy was cool but when he pulled me over I was in the left hand lane, dude just stepped out in front of me and motioned for me to pull over (onto the grassy shoulder). thought I was going to hit his car.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

you got dinked for speeding, and yes it will show up on your record eventually. I think there are only two states left that don't participate in the sharing of moving violations these days (forget which and it might not be two, but MD and NJ defintiely share).

About the only recourse you ahve is to go fight it in court. If you are being truthful in stating that plenty of other people were going the same speed or faster, you can probably fight it if they were using radar, since it basically returns the speed of the largest fastest moving thing in it's "cone," which si seldom just one vehicle.

If he paced you or it was laser, it gets less likely you will have a chance.

If you got it in Maryland, it will show.

I live in NH and it shows on my record to this day and I got it in 2002.

It will look like this on your NJ driving record:

Speeding under 25mph-out of state- non suspension.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

so i am on I-95 in MD on my way back from visiting the george washington university. a cop pulls me over for doing 79 in a 65 and gives me a ticket (such a load of shit i hate cops). so i was 14 over, and its an $80 fine, which is not what im worried about. I have a clean license and want to keep it that way, but i don't want to have to drive to another state to fight a ticket (which i have done before, it was a 1 night ordeal, but thats another story). anyone whose from maryland or familiar with both NJ and MD laws, will i get points for this? will they show up on my NJ license? or can i just pay the $80 and not recieve any penalty (points/insurance increase).

thanks!

That aint bad you go 15mph over the speed limit in Boulder min. $300 bucks and oh yea I've gotten one it sux so dont feel to down

20 over and you can lose your license for 6 months with a reckless driving ticket. Every mile over 90 in VA is a day in jail.

I bet you've never been a traffic court before. Fighting for a speeding violation would normally last 10 seconds until the judge shuts you up and tells you your fine.

I think its funny that you say "This is my first ticket" and then think it is unfair, etc. because the officer singled you out. At 18 you haven't even had a fair chance to let officers catch you speeding. I bet you've gotten away with going 14 over many times and think of it as if you just got caught this one time from the hundreds that you were speeding as well.

20 over and you can lose your license for 6 months with a reckless driving ticket. Every mile over 90 in VA is a day in jail.

I bet you've never been a traffic court before. Fighting for a speeding violation would normally last 10 seconds until the judge shuts you up and tells you your fine.

I had court in VA once. It was on december 23rd and the judge told everyone in the court to plead guilty and he would reduce all of the tickets.

Some people still plead not guilty and one guy got thrown in jail for 113mph in a 65, on December 23rd and didnt get released until jan 3rd.

needless to say I plead guilty and got a defective equipment ticket for $75.:icon_bigg

ruski, i've been to traffic court twice, once as a sort of driver's ed thing and the other for that one ticket i got over a year ago (60 in a 35). to be honest i never do go over 80, but this particular trip was fairly long in the sense that its out of the ordinary (im not one to travel 4.5 hours each way to a place every weekend). just stop the age crap and the whole bit about being inexperienced, i think im doing a decent job so far.

someone mentioned before that if your license is clean and you get a 2 pt. ticket it doesn't affect your insurance rate? is this true?

sux for u .....cops should realize everyone speeds and they should try to get the ones that are 20-25 over the limit or driving reckless or drunk or something

quite honestly i'd rather see cops leave responsible speeders alone and get the panzees that occupy the fast lane as if it were their birth right or those that talk on teh cell and dont pay attention to the road

...besides its the end of the month....

I once read that you should send in $5 more than the fine assessed. When you receive a refund check for $5, do not cash the check. The processing of the fine will just hang out there, and your points will never make it to your license. Bullshit? One way to tell (I haven't been ticketed in over 20 years so I don't know).

I once read that you should send in $5 more than the fine assessed. When you receive a refund check for $5, do not cash the check. The processing of the fine will just hang out there, and your points will never make it to your license. Bullshit? One way to tell (I haven't been ticketed in over 20 years so I don't know).
yes and no I have seen this work and havent. My friends older brother did that he had the court system call him everyday until it was processed, but it might work. Just pay the fine and keep smilen

hahahaha

urban legend, just like qoutas:lol:

someone mentioned before that if your license is clean and you get a 2 pt. ticket it doesn't affect your insurance rate? is this true?

I believe that's the case with in-state speeding of 1-9 mph (which results in 2 points), I don't think it covers out-of-state violations. Anyway, I looked on the DMV website, and Dept. of Banking and Insurance website, but could not find any proof.

Dude, you were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. By all means, go to court. Dress nice when you go.

The worst that can happen is you pay the maximum (which is exactly what happens if you simply pay the ticket). Going to court greatly increases the chances that your points will be lowered.

Archived