LegacyGT.com

speeding ticket. from NJ, got it in MD

mmanus88

so i am on I-95 in MD on my way back from visiting the george washington university. a cop pulls me over for doing 79 in a 65 and gives me a ticket (such a load of shit i hate cops). so i was 14 over, and its an $80 fine, which is not what im worried about. I have a clean license and want to keep it that way, but i don't want to have to drive to another state to fight a ticket (which i have done before, it was a 1 night ordeal, but thats another story). anyone whose from maryland or familiar with both NJ and MD laws, will i get points for this? will they show up on my NJ license? or can i just pay the $80 and not recieve any penalty (points/insurance increase).

thanks!

obviously its a violation, but there is something called "schoolyard rules." the guy couldve given me a warning; i think, on a major highway like i-95, 14 over does not warrent a ticket. a warning if anything. i was not standing out or doing something that anyone else wasn't on the road (especially in the left lane). anyone else who knows about this sort of thing please give input, i would appreciate it.

Speeding is speeding. From the cops that I've talked to in MD... 10 over or less, and there is a very good chance you'll get a warning. Anything higher and you are obviously speeding and you know it and you'll most likely get a ticket.

If he is working a speed trap, you can bet you are getting a speeding ticket.

I think your statement that the cop is full of shit is bullshit. He's doing his job, and you you were speeding. If you want a break, then go to court.

when did i say the cop was full of shit? i think, because everyone else was doing 80+, that me at 79 couldve gotten a warning, or not been pulled over at all. yes the law says 65 is the limit, but the real world is different from the books. and don't give me that "hes doing his job" shit. many who drive on these highways a lot "break" the speeding law, yet its just keeping up with traffic. im sure many people on this board would feel kind of screwed over with a 14 over ticket on a highway like I-95 while everyone else was doing the exact same speed.

it makes no difference, i got the ticket. i have no problem at all paying the $80, but i just don't want points to show up on my record! will i get points for this infraction? if so, how many?

around here cops dont bs. Troopers use what they call the "open door policy". If they have to open their door, you're getting a ticket.

if it shows up in nj, expect whatever NJ would give you for the same offense.

i got a ticket in PA going 91 in a 65.. i live in NJ and have a NJ License.. it went on my driving record, and i got points... DMV sees violations for a year.. insurance sees violations for 3 years.. i was driving to chicago so i couldn't just turn around and fight it at court.. (which i would've lost anyway)

well the guy was "friendly" in a professional manner, but he did not have any room for negotiation, despite how courteous i was to him. im just trying to figure out if i will get points for this offense. if so i don't think it iwll be more than 2, and because it takes around 6 months (apparently) for this MD ticket to show up on my record, I was thinking about doing to a little defensive driving course thing and getting it wiped off before anyone even notices the points. it being sunday and all, the DMV for any state is closed, so im restricted to what you guys have to say for now.

i sense sarcasm, just wat i need right now :lol: . i think if i go by myself on that courtdate, i could get it wiped off cause my license is clean. put would that defensive driving thing work (even if the ticket is on my NJ record yet)? if my state can wipe off pts from a ticket recieved from another state with a DD course then i was thinking i should send them payment for $80 then just do a DDC asap.

I was on a trip through there recently. I talked to a state cop at a rest stop. He said on I95 you can easily do 90 mph w/o trouble, as long as you are not weaving in and out of traffic. He said 100 might be pushing it!

At any rate I drove past at least 8 speed traps, each time I was in the left lane following whoever was ahead of me. I was usually doing 80-85 maybe even 88 mph. No problems at all.

On a different highway, maybe, but I think you got screwed!

either go back for a court date or pay up. those are your 2 options, end of story. maybe you got screwed, but it doens't mean you weren't speeding and can't be ticketed. that's just how it goes.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

oh i completely accept the fact that a ticket is a ticket. like i said, im trying to figure out what to do. i will call DMV tomorow and see what i can work out with a DDC. the court my case would be held in is in annapolis, which is closer than DC (by about 30 minutes :icon_mad: ) but who wants to drive 4+ hours anyways . ill see how things work out. anymore input would be great, thx guys

i don't think my age will pose as much of a problem. as of now im not too keen on the idea of going back to annapolis a month from now. if i take a DDC and am eligable to get the 2 pts off, can they do that even if the MD ticket hasn't shown up on my NJ record yet?

The defense driving course will not wipe out your ticket points. They will show up in your record. So if this is your first ticket you will have something like +2 points on your record and after the DDC you will have -4 since I believe they allocate 6 good points to you. The insurance company will still know that you received this ticket.

It is amazing that you think you are entitled to a break from the officer and that 14 over is not speeding per say on a Maryland highway. Just so you know in VA it is even worse as far as being ticketing goes. The rule of thumb is 10mph and over is a ticket. Next time pick out a rabbit and drive a bit behind him so if you see him slam his brakes you can slam yours and he will get the ticket while you cruise by him. Next time go 74 in a 65 and you'll probably be safe. Saying that everyone else is breaking the law is not an excuse.

I had my share of tickets when I was your age. I've been able to stay under the radar as I got wiser and older.

you really want to get on my bad side, don't you? maybe if you stopped after the first paragraph i would actually appreciate your information. im sorry if i offended you (im assuming you are or were a cop), but the point is that i go a ticket, and i'm pissed off because i was not doing anything outrageous in comparison to *every* other driver. the minute i got the ticket i accepted the fact that i got it. there is nothing wrong with trying to make myself feel better about the situation. i don't see why you would care anyways. as i said b4, i got the ticket and thats the end of it. i've already gotten one ticket that taught me my lesson on speeding. i learned to stick with the crowd and not stick out like a soar thumb. this is my first ticket since i got my provisional license over a year ago. i guess this cop was just playing skip-skip-pick with me and the other drivers.

i do not really mind the insurance company seeing that i got a ticket, i just don't want any surplus charges on my father's insurance plan or nething like that. it would be very inconsiderate, especially since he has given me much leeway with just about anything auto-related since i got my provisional.

I have gotten ticket for speeding in NJ and went to court and they changed it to a no point violation. The charge had a name for it that would dismiss the points but you had to pay the fine. This happened a while ago so it's hard to remember.It was under 10mph over the limit so I don't know if this would apply.

Denial is your best friend

worse comes to worse, im gonna call up annapolis courthouse district courthouse and ask if they can reschedule me for this or next week early saturday morning. i will drive down there, can hopefully convince the magistrate/cubicle judge to make it a no point violation (which i think i cna do, i show my seriousness by driving there to fight it and have a clean record). ne1 let me kno i fu have ne better ideas. its pretty much looking like m y best bet to keep everyone happy so far

For NJ, out of state moving violations transfer as 2 points. I got a 5 point ticket in VA and it showed up on my record as 2 points in NJ

+1

Also, I don't know about this specific situation, but if you a get a speeding ticket in NJ, and you have a clean record, and you only got 2 points, your insurance will not be affected - that's the state law, I believe. Ask me how I know...

Archived