LegacyGT.com

Had a chat with Subaru dealer

Needed to fix something on my car so I went to chat with dealer while they were working on it. He said that they didn't have a spec to test drive.. duh,

but he said that there might some changes to the legacy line up.

Minor changes this year include some kind of face job, but no pig nose, and he said "MAYBE" a paddle shifter for AT cars (cool!)

He said they are expecting a full model change late next year (2008 model?) which, he again said "MAYBE" styling will resemble new Impressa ... pig nose FTL in 2007... all of this is speculation, but who knows?

This is all Japan info, btw..

paddle shifters behind the wheel might be easier to reach and use than the manu-matic buttons, especially when not straight ahead, but probably just different switches for the same trans functions...

Might be some "added coolness" and a bit of a bone finally thrown to the legacy as an admission that the Legacy is a sporty car, which I swear, SOA hasn't quite grasped yet...

I hope if the 07 model does get new fascias (bumper covers) that they are new short extension versions, like Japan. I am sure that would steam up some existing leggy owners, but I would love it if the 07 North American cars had the same short overhangs that the Japanese and rest-of-world does. It might save some money from the component suppliers.

Even if the new look doesn't have short bumpers, I hope it is a tad more agressive, without losing it's dignified status...

I really wish some more leaks were coming out. 4-6 months is the time frame for the cars to be on the lots, and me to buy one...

and I would love to know more about the rumored new colors, what interior colors will be available with what paint colors, and more confirmation on whether the spec B is going to be as optionally handicapped as the 06 is, in the matters of color and the like...

It was a japanese car dealer. I doubt Speeding gaijin would have posted if he had doubts of the voracity of the info.

Grain of salt, of course, which we take with ALL of the rumors... but it is a rumor none-the-less.

I am hoping a change at FHI for Japanese Subarus will be effective also at SOA, to keep the supply-chain as close as possible for the two distinct manufacturing lines.

Usually when people talk about "a minor face-job" on the car they usually mean revised lights, bumper covers and a couple of details here or there, and no or very few hard sheet-metal changes, which is totally feasible, and likely even easy to implement.

Heck, there are at least four different front bumper covers available overseas, just for the Legacy (not counting outback...) The fact that there is only one version in the US for all 05-06 models regardless of trim level is overly simplistic, and a bit unfortunate. There should be more differentiation, anyway, IMHO.

Those dang buttons are merely a "fun" factor item, no real aggressive driver is going to be able to dive into a curve at 70 and cut the wheel and be able to use them while there going from 3 and 9 to 6 and 12, whose got time to "find" my buttons? I like using the stick, just feels like I'm more in control that way. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's a braggin' item, but only functionally effective in a str8 line if you ask me.

The buttons yes, but paddle shifters are used in F1 all the time.

Good thing I don't race in F1 huh, lol! Look how far they have to turn steering wheel compared to how far we have to turn ours though. They may move there's a few degrees in either direction, whereas we have to turn our's completely one way and completely the other.

but I would love it if the 07 North American cars had the same short overhangs that the Japanese and rest-of-world does. It might save some money from the component suppliers.

Uhhh the Canadians have a 5mph bumper impact standard while the rest of the world has a 2.5mph standard. Unless Subaru wants to have two different North American bumper systems, which they cannot afford to do.

It was a japanese car dealer. I doubt Speeding gaijin would have posted if he had doubts of the voracity of the info.

Oh, well if it came from Japan then it's gotta be true.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

what makes you think a slimy salesman in Japan has more info than a slimy salesman in the US?

is it geographic? do Pontiac salemen in Michigan know more than Pontiac salesmen in Florida?

:rolleyes:

Iwannasportsedan,

All of the poly bumpers are formed at SIA's facility for the various models. One of the few components other than the metal stampings that are made there. Since it's a raw material process and a finished product almost immediately, I believe that could be a reason they are produced there.

He said they are expecting a full model change late next year (2008 model?) which, he again said "MAYBE" styling will resemble new Impressa ... pig nose FTL in 2007... all of this is speculation, but who knows?

how do the japanese like the new pig nose impreza?

This Space For Rent

I should have been clearer... But I didn't think you guys wanted me to belabor EVERY little point.

I don't know if japanese car dealers are any different that US dealers. They are probably all the same, a few knowledgeable, and a few morons.

What I meant to emphasize is that a forum member here felt comfortable enough in the validity (as in not an obviously wrong statement, that might possibly be feasible) to post it here, and I will give him, speeding gaijin, the benefit of the doubt to know BS when he hears it, and that he'd not have forwarded it if he had thought it erroneous. Or treated us to an anecdote about a misinformed salesman, and made light of it...

Also perhaps being in the vicinity of FHI, perhaps the japanese dealer, if in the loop, might have different info than from SOA... Who knows, the source could be the japanese equivalent to Opie...

I guess we can blame SOA for the uniform front end treatments from 2.5i non-limited, all the way up to GT Spec B... Along with the same wheels, lack of a manual wagon, and unintelligible navigation availability, and lack of interior choice...

if this rumored facelift includes slightly revised headlight shape, maybe that will be enough to get a new front bumper design out of SOA... and hopefully an even better one. current is decent, but room for improvement exists.

But, as I said... these are all rumors, and the grain of salt goes almost without saying. I am not sure why this has generated such an underwear twist... this is the rumors forum, what'd y'all think people post here? Old news? :shrug:

At least the buttons aren't as confusing as Porsche's tiptronic. The buttons flip orientation when the wheel is turned 180 degrees.

I've been tempted to pull the wheel apart and re-wire the switches so both buttons on the right are for up shifting and both on the left are for down shifting.

Archived