LegacyGT.com

My 1997 Legacy GT wont start!

Project84

I joined this site basically because I bought a wrecked 1997 LGT and i've needed helpful info putting it back together and learning some tech stuff...

here's where im at now:

THE CAR WONT START.

Battery is fine, cables are fine.... starter was taken off and autozone checked it, its fine... all fuses look to be okay.... what am I missing?

Is it something to do w/ the security system? We tried holding the button on the underside of the dash like the sticker on the core support says... nothing happened.

When we turn the key, the starter doesnt even click or engage... so is it an ignition problem?

someone surely has had this problem before or has an educated suggestion that would help out..??

I'd appreciate any info VERY much!

Thanks,

John

but its been started plenty of times prior to this.

what happened last that i remember was we were taking the battery out to have it charged and when unthreading the positive connection we grounded the wrench out on the belt housing on top the accessories and after that it just wouldnt start.... all fuses are fine though.

we're dumbfounded

The SVX had an issue with the starter interrupt relay sticking. Ive seen it happen a few times on other models. IIRC the relay is attached to the trim panel underneath the steering column on the Legacy. Try tapping on the relay while turning the key.

Jim

the Haynes repair manual says something about an Inhibitor relay that we think is making the noise when the key is in the on position, that ihibitor relay has something to do w/ both the neutral safety switch and the security system, we're checking there first today, then we'll check the relay under the dash as above suggested

had something to do w/ the neutral safety switch, the gear selector/range selector on the transmission itself being rusty/loose

jiggled the selector, noise went away, turned the key, vroooommmmmmmmm

it was a good night, success at last!

• 2 months later...
This may be my problem. I've been thinking it was the starter interrupt but this morning when it wouldn't start I jiggled the gear shift and presto, she turned over easily. I'll get my mechanic to check it out. Did you have to replace it or just adjust it? The Neutral safety switch, I mean.

• 4 years later...

Archived