LegacyGT.com

How to change the Heater Control lights on a '95-'99 Legacy

Aczwild

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow dude, why do you want to see his pictures so bad? He said he can't post them for various reasons; lay off.

cause no one else that had problems posted any good pics. and it doesnt make sence. i just want to see what people were talking about in my gauge mod thread when they said it had poor light distribution. and he said various reasons first, then said security reasons. so i was curious

I finally bit the bullet last night and put in the blue ones in my guage cluster to match my CC Cluster. Took all of 10 minutes, incredibly easy compared to the Climate Controls. I got the Cluster Leds, 5 on each, for the main lamps and then used the high power blue in the two middle sockets.

They look friggin awsome. Am going to go back to the CC cluster and replace the one in the tempo display with a white one, as it is not you see the blue very well but the red part is totally dark. I am so glad i found Superbright last year. Hope you guys are all enjoying the led's they are worth every penny and then some. Now for the rest of the interior lights.

My Scoob will be dead and rusted long before any of the lamps crap out.

Am happy to post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Cheers, Larry

I finally bit the bullet last night and put in the blue ones in my guage cluster to match my CC Cluster. Took all of 10 minutes, incredibly easy compared to the Climate Controls. I got the Cluster Leds, 5 on each, for the main lamps and then used the high power blue in the two middle sockets.

They look friggin awsome. Am going to go back to the CC cluster and replace the one in the tempo display with a white one, as it is not you see the blue very well but the red part is totally dark. I am so glad i found Superbright last year. Hope you guys are all enjoying the led's they are worth every penny and then some. Now for the rest of the interior lights.

My Scoob will be dead and rusted long before any of the lamps crap out.

Am happy to post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Cheers, Larry

post em here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124039

• 1 month later...

This was excellent for fixing my lights. My car is a 1998 Legacy Outback and I had a few differences. This is not to take away from the super good post.

On step 8, the knob was stuck on real good, as PO was a smoker. I was bleeding after.

On step 9, there are two plastic tabs shown to be released. On my car, they did not need to be released as they just locate the PCB & the PCB is fastened with screws. The only tabs that had to be released were the two that are circled in red on step 8 beside the screws that were removed from the bottom. As you gently pul the face apart, you can watch the ribbon cable inside stretch, the unit feels like its stuck together with heavy grease.

On step 11, when you install the new bulbs, they only turn about 1/8 of a revolution. I see the bulb base has a wire that is pressed against a solder pad to contact. I turned the bulb until the wire was seated in the center of the contact pad.

The Dealer wrongly gave me Part #83426AA051 for the Fan Bulb the first time I went in & they read it off the forum screen. Guess they just seen the last 3 numbers matched and sent me home with the wrong bulb. My car took BULB FAN part #72351AC051, as was called out in the sticky. This bulb is very long because it has to reach from the PCB to the acrylic lense that spreads the light around the fan switch.

Thanks again for the help to all.

• 1 month later...
At long last a pic of the Dash with the Blue LED's

Did you use the High Powered bulbs? I used the normal ones and they fade and then brighten up in the middle-ish of the cluster then fade back out again.

Did you use the High Powered bulbs? I used the normal ones and they fade and then brighten up in the middle-ish of the cluster then fade back out again.

Mine do the same with the normal 120 degree ones. I believe someone on here used the high powered ones and they did the same thing because they only come in 90 degree angles.

Used the Hi Power with max beam spread.

There is a little fading between but not that bad. Over all the intensity is pretty even. Everybody who seen it love them.

I decided on the hi power because i was not entirely satisfied with the HVAC cluster with the standard, mat go back and upgrade some of them.

Now i just need to finish everything else. Redid the dome light with a 4LED hi power, now just need to do everything else. It's hard to stop once you get going. As a side note, at least for me, the Blue is much nicer at night than the green, guages are much sharper looking and easier to read. Also did all the indicator lights with red or amber as needed. DO NOT use LED for the low fuel guage, it just stays on all the time, voltage never gets low enough for it to be off.

Edited by MrLWJ
Added info

Used the Hi Power with max beam spread.

There is a little fading between but not that bad. Over all the intensity is pretty even. Everybody who seen it love them.

I decided on the hi power because i was not entirely satisfied with the HVAC cluster with the standard, mat go back and upgrade some of them.

Now i just need to finish everything else. Redid the dome light with a 4LED hi power, now just need to do everything else. It's hard to stop once you get going. As a side note, at least for me, the Blue is much nicer at night than the green, guages are much sharper looking and easier to read. Also did all the indicator lights with red or amber as needed. DO NOT use LED for the low fuel guage, it just stays on all the time, voltage never gets low enough for it to be off.

What size bulb for the dome light? I am going to order one of the 5bulb LED's for the AT shifter to see if it fits/how bright it is. I didn't know that we had a choice in the hi powered bulbs for the angle.

I also should ask if you sanded down the back of your gauges? This is what my cluster looks like. Really bight in the center then faded. And the dome light you guys are talking about is when you open the door and it's the light that lights up?

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2424/img00045201005102201.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Baddog

What size bulb for the dome light? I am going to order one of the 5bulb LED's for the AT shifter to see if it fits/how bright it is. I didn't know that we had a choice in the hi powered bulbs for the angle.

I also should ask if you sanded down the back of your gauges? This is what my cluster looks like. Really bight in the center then faded. And the dome light you guys are talking about is when you open the door and it's the light that lights up?

Did not sand anything in my case, the bulbs were the same fit as the standard. I changed everything in the cluster that could be changed, mine is a 97 legacy, so my cluster may be different that what you have, but for me the lighting is pretty even. For the Dome light,yes thats the one that goes on in the ceiling when you open the door, in my case it took a hi power 4 smd warm white festoon bulb. For the light in the cargo area it was a wedge base bulb. The sight below has a fairly comprehensive list of what you will need for your application.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

• 5 months later...

Anyone know the bulb model # for the radio/clock lights? I soldered in some LEDs and resistors but they don't fit all that great and aren't as bright as the originals.

Thanks!

Edited by jamesm113

• 2 weeks later...

I got the cluster lights to work. Way easier than the HVAC.

The hvac works with the dealer bulbs but I'm having a tough time with the LEDs.

Can't seem to get it to work.

Any suggestions guys?

Edited by sukaboy

I had read in the forum to rotate the bulbs 180degs.

I thought I had tried that and it didn't work.

In any case...I tried it again and it worked and looks great. I could tell even in the late morning sun (car was in the shade of the house still) that the LEDs were on. Now everything in the interior is LED.

I can't wait till it gets dark!

I did lose one of the small screws on the bottom of the HVAC control and one of the small dealer bulbs somewhere in the dash.

Tried to find it but no luck. Even took the radio and everything out.

Don't matter now. I just wanted the LEDs to work.

LEDs that I used from SuperbrightLEDs.com

3 | NEOx High Power LED Instrument bulb | $ 2.29 |

Blue NEOx-BHP 3mm NEO3-xHP

------------------------------------------------------------

2 | 74-xHP3 Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 3.49 |

Blue 74-BHP3

4 | WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 5.95 |

Blue WLED-BHP5

for the 2 smaller wedge bulbs i had to bend the connectors a bit to make it snug.

There's a bit of a hotspot on the Upper left side. The right side is really even.

Not sure why.

The NEO3 ones are hard to install. Just because of the location behind the HVAC control.

The gauge cluster was easy. Just have to be careful not to scratch the right side of the dash.

which I did a bit when I pulled it out.

I noticed the the fan knob is not as bright as the other side, do they make a NEO3 longer than these?

This thread was really useful.

Thanks to all who contributed.

IMG_1277.thumb.jpg.f6d0e4d10218b42b71d5d1f278e28387.jpg

IMG_1298.thumb.jpg.476d08d2f857029d8a4fcfda49932da4.jpg

IMG_1295.thumb.jpg.3ac49511ffe8378e63d913fc04357407.jpg

Edited by sukaboy
added photo

• 2 months later...