LegacyGT.com

How to change the Heater Control lights on a '95-'99 Legacy

Aczwild

Ok it warmed up enough to install the NEO3 LED's.

They are a snug fit but the fit, you do need to fire them up after installing to make sure the polarity is correct but they work GREAT.

They will not dim totally but will dim a great deal. They are very bright and work great, just for S&G I put blue ones in.

You can get them at Superbrightleds.com Look under the automotive section. And they are cheaper than factory.

Larry

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Followed this procedure this past weekend on my daughters '96, replaced the heater control bulbs and hazard button bulb with Radio Shack lights and it all looks great! Now before pulling everything apart again, does anyone know if the A/C button should light up when activated?

Thanks to all.

OK so did anyone figure out how to change the bulb behind the clock on the stock radio. Just got this 98 Legacy and all climate control bulbs are blown as well as the clock and the one behind the (non existant) Tachometer. I will follow the change directions for the climate control bulbs (actually got half way before I was not sure where they were). Now I need to find the directions for the other two bulbs PLEASE!!

Well I pulled the heater control out again (getting good at that) in an attempt to replace the bulb in the AC switch. Did not find a way to get at the switch. Unfortunately I ran short on time. Anyone have any insight as to how to remove the AC switch from the heater control unit?

Well I pulled the heater control out again (getting good at that) in an attempt to replace the bulb in the AC switch. Did not find a way to get at the switch. Unfortunately I ran short on time. Anyone have any insight as to how to remove the AC switch from the heater control unit?

I'm not sure how to do this but I'd also like to know for the recirculation button.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok it warmed up enough to install the NEO3 LED's.

They are a snug fit but the fit, you do need to fire them up after installing to make sure the polarity is correct but they work GREAT.

They will not dim totally but will dim a great deal. They are very bright and work great, just for S&G I put blue ones in.

You can get them at Superbrightleds.com Look under the automotive section. And they are cheaper than factory.

Larry

How is the lighting spread? I wanted to get a white LED to go for that area.

Warning! I went to the dealer to get the bulbs for the HVAC control and they gave me part number 72351AC051 for the car also for the 1995 Legacy L wagon they only show it as using 2 bulbs which is not true it has a total of 3 that I can see of and the bulbs they gave me were too long to fit.

old bulb on the left

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7453/dscf0055g.jpg

How is the lighting spread? I wanted to get a white LED to go for that area.

LIght spread is not perfect but not too bad either, the LEDS are cut flat on the end.

If they were to be rounded off I think they would be perfect, better light spread. Still I am very happy with mine the color is very intense.

Larry

keeping my word I just installed the LED's today looks better.. if I could open the case installing a mirror for the LED in the back you might be able to light up the icons for the air settings better..

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1787/img0076o.jpg

OK so did anyone figure out how to change the bulb behind the clock on the stock radio. Just got this 98 Legacy and all climate control bulbs are blown as well as the clock and the one behind the (non existant) Tachometer. I will follow the change directions for the climate control bulbs (actually got half way before I was not sure where they were). Now I need to find the directions for the other two bulbs PLEASE!!

No, they are soldered onto the radio. Mine were burned out behind the clock, so I soldered in other bulbs. But unless you want to go soldering (and find bulbs that work) you can't change them.

(this was on a 1996 legacy, but the stock radio looks exactly the same as the '99, so I'm 99% sure it is the same on the 98 too)

What bulbs did you use for the radio? I used the same 12 volts that I used in the heater control to replace two in the radio and they are much dimmer than the two that were still working in the radio

• 1 month later...

Another ecstatically happy customer of this thread! Our black hole of a center panel is now lit up like the streets of Las Vegas (compared to how it used to look, anyway... :icon_bigg ).

Thanks!

Edited by b707guy

• 6 months later...
hmm on superbrightleds.com you can get the part numbers for your car and get led's for your whole car. i personally love the color of led's in headlights. the cool blue tint. and if you wanna risk it you can tint your bulbs anycolor but your local pd may find it easier to to detect who's car it is at night.

yea but if you buy blue for your high beam it may be soo blue the cop will stop you. just like the 35w bridge. they install white led's but white led's can sometime have a blue tint. and when you light a bridge with them the tint becomes...well...more tint looking. ...they are talking about changing them but i think they are cool

hmm on superbrightleds.com you can get the part numbers for your car and get led's for your whole car. i personally love the color of led's in headlights. the cool blue tint. and if you wanna risk it you can tint your bulbs anycolor but your local pd may find it easier to to detect who's car it is at night.

tint...did someone say tint you bulbs. nice someone else acually mentioned it. i went a step farther and tinted the lens, i dont have an updated pic but my fog are done too now

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=1770

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=2453

tint...did someone say tint you bulbs. nice someone else acually mentioned it. i went a step farther and tinted the lens, i dont have an updated pic but my fog are done too now

I'd rather keep my functionality of my non tinted bulbs and/or lights. Light output is reduced when you tint these components.

As far as interior goes, these cars aren't exactly new. The bright and uneven lighting of the led's doesn't exactly match the rest of the interior IMO.

Then again, it's your car, do what you will. I don't have to look at it everyday.