LegacyGT.com

How to change the Heater Control lights on a '95-'99 Legacy

Aczwild

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

You dont need to pull the circuit board out of the radio. This write up did help ALOT, THANKS!

But i couldn't get the radio board to pull up and out, so i found an easier way to do it!

The plug on the back of the radio right behind the board where the lights are, the little black peice of plastic removes very easily, and you can slide the radio plug up and out of its holster allowing extreme easy access to the bulbs. This job took me less than 30 minutes to do.

The last three pictures, you dont need to remove those screws, or knob, and in the very last picture you can see the radio plug, the little plastic cover on the top of it slides up and off. Just pull back on some plastic clips and it comes off very easily.

Edited by weareweird69

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aczwild, first off... awesome right up. Very clear and directional.

Main question I have for you is if you would happen to have a right up for the radio lights? Stock radio I'm talking about on my 95 sub legacy. The radio backlight is out (can't tell time at night...very annoying) and a few of the preset buttons are out also. Any guidance or writeup would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Main question I have for you is if you would happen to have a right up for the radio lights? Stock radio I'm talking about on my 95 sub legacy. The radio backlight is out (can't tell time at night...very annoying) and a few of the preset buttons are out also. Any guidance or writeup would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I just pulled my stock head unit out. I may try dissecting it... i'll let you know what I find.

i have never (4 different 95-99 Legacy's) seen the radio clock area be lit at night, however i can dissect my extra HU and see.

BTW hopefully i'll have some more instructions for other things up by the end of the weekend and I will revise this thread for easier removal.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

The hazard bulb is replaceable, you need to peel back the reflective foil on the switch itself. The Subaru parts guy scavenged a bulb out of another switch for me because he didnt have the bulb on stock. But he said he could get a bulb for me, so just ask if they can get it for you, or scavenge one out of another switch for you.

The hazard bulb is replaceable, you need to peel back the reflective foil on the switch itself. The Subaru parts guy scavenged a bulb out of another switch for me because he didnt have the bulb on stock. But he said he could get a bulb for me, so just ask if they can get it for you, or scavenge one out of another switch for you.

good to know.

Cool thanks, im just gonna order my bulbs from subaruparts.com because i see them in stock on the list but i wanted to know which to order for the hazard bulb, maybe i will pull apart the panel and see. It looks like it costs $10 for shipping....

$10 shipping for a $1 bulb from Radio Shack? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

What a GREAT walkthrough, Thanks a million! I just did this in less than an hour, and half of the time was spent running in and out of the house to get tools and check the pictures on the computer. The dealer wanted $200 to do this...

I have a '95 Legacy LS wagon, AT, A/C 2.2 L. 160K miles.

A few additional tips:

I got my bulbs from Radio Shack. Less than $4 for four bulbs (they come in 2-packs. See this thread for the post with the bulb #). My Subaru dealer was out of them, PLUS they wanted $5 EACH.

The original bulbs have a little green covering on them. I rolled it off the old bulbs and onto the new ones. The replacement bulbs are a few mm shorter than the originals.

At the step where the parts slide open "about 1/4 inch", there is another step to get you access to the bulbs. The plastic piece immediately above the circuit board holding the bulbs is removable. Look for the 2 tabs that can easily be depressed to slide it out of the unit.

These lights are very dim and might not be visible in daylight. I had to cover my head and the control with a heavy blanket to make it dark enough to see that these new bulbs did, infact, work!

I found that a plastic tire lever worked very well for removing the plastic trim w/o scratches.

Again, thanks for a very well put together and illustrated walkthrough.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I recall the bulb is like the NEO3 as shown below. Anyone know for sure?

These are LED and a great price. I ordered a set to give em a try, will let you all know if they work.

NEO3-x

http://www.superbrightleds.com/products/car/NEO3-x_mm.jpg

NEO4-x

http://www.superbrightleds.com/products/car/NEO4-x_mm.jpg

all measurements in millimeters

Edited by MrLWJ

The bulb behind the buttons (defroster, foot, etc) is possessed on mine. It sometimes works, and then will randomly go off. Hitting it makes it work again :/

Right now it is freezing cold though, so I'll fix it when it is either warmer, or I'm at someone's house with a heated garage.

As I recall the bulb is like the NEO3 as shown below. Anyone know for sure?

These are LED and a great price. I ordered a set to give em a try, will let you all know if they work.

NEO3-x

http://www.superbrightleds.com/products/car/NEO3-x_mm.jpg

NEO4-x

http://www.superbrightleds.com/products/car/NEO4-x_mm.jpg

all measurements in millimeters

It's the smaller one, I think... :lol: