LegacyGT.com

How to change the Heater Control lights on a '95-'99 Legacy

Aczwild

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just changed mine and I have the part numbers for people that need it, Subaru Genuine Part numbers, for the two little light bulbs it's#72351AC061 called BULB MODE TEMP, and for the long one it's#72351AC051 called BULB FAN. Looks a lot better when I can see what I'm doing at night when I'm driving. Nice write up... O yeah they are $2.21 each.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '96 Legacy Outback and I just changed my lights today, pretty easy with the instructions in this thread. I used Radio Shack part #272-1092, it's a 2 pack. So fall all looks good! If you find that your buttons also stick from spilled soda or coffee or something, you will ba happy to know that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to disassemble the entire control assembly, clean it and put it all back together! After I put everything together I noticed that the lights on a couple other things don't work so monday I'll tackle the rest of the job! I'd say the whole job would take a couple hours and since I was doing other things I didn't keep track of my time.

Hope this helps!

Well, today I replaced the hazard lamp and the 2 seat heater lamps and now on to the rest of the dash, cruise, rear defrost, fog lamp and heated mirror switches! If anyone needs to know how to replace these lamps, give me a hollar and I'll tell you what to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, great tutorial, this is going to help me alot.

I just went to the dealers to pick up the bulbs, but they only had one in stock. so i'll have to go back on thursday to pick up the rest.

and i'll have all the part#s for you guys. maybe i'll take picks of the

hazard bulb project.

thanks again aczwild

Hey everyone, I went to my local Subaru dealer today to pick up the bulbs for this fix and I wasn't smart enough to read through the entire thread (probably because I was too excited to be able to see what I was doing with the climate controls!) and I got three of the part # 72351AC051 bulbs.

I doubt that the dealer is going to let me return them (although maybe they will). If they don't, is there anyone that would be interested in taking them off my hands? I would just ask that the person pays for shipping, which should be much less than buying the bulb itself. I'd still be out the almost $3 the dealer charged me per bulb but at least then someone would get to use them....

Does any one know how to get the cup holder out?

Mine doesnt have that middle button to push down on to sild out.

???...

I have a '97, but I didn't even have to take the actual cup holders out. With the cup holders pulled all the way out, I was able to just fit my screwdriver around it and take out the screw on the right. The cupholders don't even get in the way of the screw on the left in mine. Hope that helps....

I have a '97, but I didn't even have to take the actual cup holders out. With the cup holders pulled all the way out, I was able to just fit my screwdriver around it and take out the screw on the right. The cupholders don't even get in the way of the screw on the left in mine. Hope that helps....

Thanks i did that as well, after tinkering with it for a few mins.

• 8 months later...
Nice how-to. One tip though, the circlips (e-type clips) that hold the hot/cold slider cable can be a pain to remove and re-attach. It is easier to follow the cable down to the passenger side footwell. With a flashlight it is dead easy to disconnect...just unclip the housing and unhook the end of the cable, which is over a white plastic post. No tools required, and then the whole unit comes out with no hassles. Rerouting the cable is easy too, nothing in the way.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I definitely have to do this now, mine are all out. The passenger side heated seat light comes and goes. I do the whole "hit it 'til it works" method which suffices for now.

My rear window defrost light seems to be out too, although I thought maybe it's just the whole system not working? Only way to find out I guess, wait for winter.

Sounds like these lights going out is a common thing, glad I'm not the only one!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No problem guys, I was miffed when mine started to go and I sure didnt want to spend money to have an auto shop to do it when I knew it would cost me pennies to do it myself.

Now, if you guys have any other little things you want to know how to fix, or larger things, let me know, I have my project sitting outside and since I have to completely strip it down, I will have no problem taking the time to walk people through taking apart their car to fix an issue by themselves

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

wow! thanks!! i just talked to my subaru dealer and look what they quoted me

"The price to replace the back lighting bulbs in the heater control is approx $100 + tax (parts & labor), the hazard may or may not have a replaceable bulb we would needto inspect, depending on vehicle options."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...