LegacyGT.com

What do you think of the new Volvo S40?

I really hope the next Impreza draws on the excellent overall image of the Mazda3. It's a great looking little car IMHO, looks agressive enough, but refined at the same time. A nice mix between the Legacy and the Mazda3 would really help sales considering a value is presented that is comparable to the 3. It's not out there like the Impreza as I see it, it looks a bit more mainstream, but a fairly well-planned out design, at least on the outside. (I won't go test one because the local Mazda/Audi/Mitsu/Nissan/VW dealership is a bunch of jackholes.)

[quote name='Jason L']I definitely looks like a neat car. However, the new V50 is what has really caught my eye. I will definitely have to check out the turbo model V50 AWD before finalizing my decision to buy the Legacy. However, with a couple of years to wait who knows what else will come out.[/quote] They had a V50 T5 AWD at the Chicago Auto show, and what was interesting about that car was the looks: bulbous, not long and elegant like the Legacy, and it was round in all the wrong places. It also seemed rather narrow. But given that Volvo and Subaru drivers tend to have something of the same demographic, in the sedan and wagon markets, the V50 will deftinitely be on a lot of radar screens, alongside the new Legacy. Kevin

My feeling is that once a person drives the S40 and the Legacy GT side to side, the Legacy will give you that "9" to "9.5" feeling and the Volvo will give you a "8". I think the Volvo will be weak in the suspension and steering department in comparison to the Subaru as from a performance only stand point. I also think that where the Legacy will feel fast, the new Volvo will feel adequate. I guess we will all find out this fall once both of the AWD versions are available to test together. :) BTW, another reason why I removed the S40 from my consideration, is the fact that I do not like buying a car that looks like a scaled down version of another car (S60) within the automakers product line....just my opinion though. :lol:

I too really wish we got a nice gunmetal color. It is somewhat characteristic of the german cars in general, but I think it would help sales for Subaru. It's amazing how many people say they want this or that color. Every little bit helps, not to mention, gunmetal with bronze wheels would look SWEET!

[quote name='SUBE555']I too really wish we got a nice gunmetal color. It is somewhat characteristic of the german cars in general, but I think it would help sales for Subaru. It's amazing how many people say they want this or that color. Every little bit helps, not to mention, gunmetal with bronze wheels would look SWEET![/quote]\ I would love a titanium grey. But I have never seen a US Scooby with such a factory job. All European cars have it. An S60R in titanium grey look good. I am sure the Legacy would as well. Cheers Nick

Why I think Subaru NEEDS a Gray metallic color for the upscale appeal, here is a list of the current cars in this price segment that come in gray metallic (cars in the $28,000 to $40,000 range); A4...93...325/330...IS300 (thundercloud metallic...new color)...G35...S40/S60...Passat...CTS...C240/320 I mean this is a "no brainer" IMO, and a large number of the European car crowd will only buy the metal metallic colors for their cars (platinum/silver/titanium...etc). So if you want to increase market share you need to build what people want....METALLIC GRAY!!! :) Heck, even VW started to paint their Golf and Jetta's in a metallic gray color from all the consumer requests.

I agree FULLY! As much as it's a great car, there are a lot of people that purchase on color. One person I know has had good luck with red cars, so he keeps buying red, whatever that may be. If they want to hit the more demanding and upscale buyer or at the very least, make them want to wander into the showroom, I think this is just another hitting point. Color is more than meets the eye. ;)

[quote name='Gumby']For what it's worth the interior of the old V40 is very similar in size to the WRX Wagon, back seat feels bigger in the WRX because you sit higher and don't have those huge Volvo headrests blocking your view.[/quote] I can tell you the rear seat legroom of the new V50/S40 is significantly larger than the WRX (after looking at both cars at the Montreal Auto Show). It's a definite improvement from the old S40/V40.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='TeeLoo'][quote name='Gumby']For what it's worth the interior of the old V40 is very similar in size to the WRX Wagon, back seat feels bigger in the WRX because you sit higher and don't have those huge Volvo headrests blocking your view.[/quote] I can tell you the rear seat legroom of the new V50/S40 is significantly larger than the WRX (after looking at both cars at the Montreal Auto Show). It's a definite improvement from the old S40/V40.[/quote] I thought that the inside dimensions for the S40 are very close to the S60 and close to the Legacy GT sedan. The S40 is bigger inside that one thinks. Cheers Nick

[quote name='PPower']I don't know about the V50/S40, but the V70 interior is bigger than the S60 at least in some dimensions like rear legroom. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new S40/V50 is very close to the new Legacy.[/quote] Agreed. I owned an 850 wagon and I sat in the new gen V70 and the intereior is bigger. Especially the rear seat room. Cheers Nick

[quote name='Kuth678']Looks like volvo took a look at the BMW 325xi and decided to make their own. Volvos are far from the most reliable cars. The legacy GT will be a far better choice.[/quote] Choosing/buying a car is not about reliability (for most car enthusiasts), otherwise most of us would drive toyotas.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='TeeLoo'][quote name='Kuth678']Looks like volvo took a look at the BMW 325xi and decided to make their own. Volvos are far from the most reliable cars. The legacy GT will be a far better choice.[/quote] Choosing/buying a car is not about reliability (for most car enthusiasts), otherwise most of us would drive toyotas.[/quote] Lexus rather. If they make the IS430 with like 400 hp it would not be a bad car... Although I do not like the altezas :) Nick

Archived