LegacyGT.com

Hybrid Legacy in '07 says the New York Times.

spieldawg

..Or at least a prototype. The New York Times has an interesting snippet on the Subaru B5-TPH (Turbo Parallel Hybrid) concept from the Detroit Auto show. "Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subarus, says the system will be tested in a Legacy beginning in 2007." Even more interesting is the supposed 362 lb-ft of torque produced between the engine and electric motor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/10/automobiles/autospecial/subaru-b5.ready.html?ex=1137906000&en=5f033accb9acbe35&ei=5070

(free registration required, etc...)

Guest *Jedimaster*
..Or at least a prototype. The New York Times has an interesting snippet on the Subaru B5-TPH (Turbo Parallel Hybrid) concept from the Detroit Auto show. "Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subarus, says the system will be tested in a Legacy beginning in 2007." Even more interesting is the supposed 362 lb-ft of torque produced between the engine and electric motor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/10/automobiles/autospecial/subaru-b5.ready.html?ex=1137906000&en=5f033accb9acbe35&ei=5070

(free registration required, etc...)

Not cool man- cut and paste, don't make us register.

Snide comments aside, I think it would be neat for someone to finally come out with a hybrid that is both fuel effecicent AND not a dog perf-wise.

A friend has an 06 civic hybrid. Very nice car, but a yugo powered by a caffinated gerbil would out run it.

I think that's the future (near-future) for most cars actually... hybrids. Even for performance vehicles.

It'll be great to see a 300hp+ turbo hybrid Subie with some nice lowend torque.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Trust me... ///M has that trumped already... easily.

Ada///M.

Subaru deliberately chose its least powerful JDM turbo engine to demonstrate the TPH system because it wanted to emphasize the electric motor aspect. Subaru could just as easily have used the 3.0L twin turbo engine from the B11S concept car. That engine was rated by Subaru as 294 kW (394 hp) @ 6400 RPM and 550 Nm (406 lb-ft) between 3600 and 4800 RPM. Toss in the 10 kW and 150 Nm supplied by the electric motor and the resulting TPH would be rated at 304 kW (408 hp) and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft). That's more power than any M3 and more torque than any BMW M ever produced, including the current M5 and M6.

BTW, here's a nice hi-res picture of the TPH powertrain:

http://www.subaru-presse.de/Messen/TMS2005/B5_PowerUnit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
BMW M cars have never been torque monsters. If you are looking for 500lb/ft+ of torque, swing over to mercedes. Their top power plants toruque start in the 470ish range, and go up to 700!

the SL65 says it all :icon_twis

biturbo V12s aren't known for producing low torque numbers :lol:

The only thing I don't like is all the hybrid powertrains offered today and talked about in the future are saddled with automatic transmissions. So if you like to shift on your own no soup for you. I don't care how much torque it has if its an auto it sucks the driving fun out of the car. Plus it has to have more torque - I mean the electric motor and related batteries aren't exactly lightweight components.

']Subaru deliberately chose its least powerful JDM turbo engine to demonstrate the TPH system because it wanted to emphasize the electric motor aspect. Subaru could just as easily have used the 3.0L twin turbo engine from the B11S concept car. That engine was rated by Subaru as 294 kW (394 hp) @ 6400 RPM and 550 Nm (406 lb-ft) between 3600 and 4800 RPM. Toss in the 10 kW and 150 Nm supplied by the electric motor and the resulting TPH would be rated at 304 kW (408 hp) and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft). That's more power than any M3 and more torque than any BMW M ever produced, including the current M5 and M6.

BTW, here's a nice hi-res picture of the TPH powertrain:

http://www.subaru-presse.de/Messen/TMS2005/B5_PowerUnit.jpg

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

Can't wait for this to come to the States, if ever!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

The only thing I don't like is all the hybrid powertrains offered today and talked about in the future are saddled with automatic transmissions. So if you like to shift on your own no soup for you. I don't care how much torque it has if its an auto it sucks the driving fun out of the car. Plus it has to have more torque - I mean the electric motor and related batteries aren't exactly lightweight components.

+1!!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived