LegacyGT.com

JDM Sedan Tail lights are in....

Opie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad the bottom section in the JDM doesn't use the dual filament and act as parking also... I think it would look best as such...

TOP - parking (+rear fog if you MUST have it)

MIDDLE - Reverse / Turn

BOTTOM - parking + brake

Opie, I think what folks are asking with 'smoked' is... the trim along the edges of the housing doesn't appear to be chrome like on the US housing, is it dark or chrome?... the pics you had on the car with the flash didn't appear to show the chrome...

Thank you Opie for the very en-'light'-ening pic!

I'll bet it is because the upper socket and lower socket are identical. They probably are supplied by the subcontractor with wire pigtails for all three leads wired to EVERY socket part. Red/pink, black, and white-black-stripe... They don't use the upper white-black-stripe lead, so it is left unconnected when the wiring harness is assembled, and just clipped and taped off.

IF you think about it from a parts bin point of view, it kinda makes sense... when building the tail light assembly and wiring harness, use as few unique parts as possible, and use the same parts if you can... less cost, the common sockets cost less for twice the quantity. (two per housing, four per car, rather than upper and lower being different sockets...)

Plus the electrical standard the bulbs are designed with probably allows for a single filament bulb to work in the double filament socket, and just not utilize that pin. Pop a dual filament bulb in (if not already there...), connect the wire, and you're in business.

That is also VERY GOOD news for people wanting to do this mod, because that makes it VERY easy to change the behavior of the rear lights, since the upper and lower red section sockets are identical, and both accept dual filament bulbs.

A little bit of basic wiring is all that is needed to do what I suggested before, OR how jdepew suggests, or however else you would prefer. just clip the other lead, and join the un-connected one, run a switched lead for bright fog, etc. Easy, peasy, literally-japanesey.

BTW... I thought about both upper and lower red sections as tail lights, which would just mean splicing the two white-black-stripe leads together, But I noticed that the 04/05 camrys light both upper and lower sections (center clear for stacked turn and reverse, rather than side-by-side) for tail lights... and I don't want to copy them. Least of all a Camry. Thankfully the 06 camry changed to center red circular lenses, clear upper and lower, and the 07s will be completely different...

Choosing Fog as the upper red section, and the brake light down, or brake upper, fog down would be personal preference, and as I said, easy wiring, with this mod. Slightly more difficult when dealing with the integrated turn signal flash with the USDM sedan tail lights...

And I like the horizontal slit of red light from the bottom red section only as the tail light... looks kinda german, like a BMW or late model VW... Better than a late model Camry, anyway... but it would all be personal preference.

BTW,

Here's a pic of the JDM tail light and fog light on... (right side only, BTW)

http://www.subdriven.com/gallery/albums//Automobiles/Legacy/Generation%204/Legacy%20B4=International/010.jpg

The upper section is dim for tail, bright for brake, and the lower drivers side section is bright fog only... at least that is how I have been told in the past. if Opie's came configured differently, perhaps my info is wrong, or things have changed.

I am trying to find a rearward shot with the tail lights illuminated... I'll post it here if/when I find one.

The Mod that K2gear and Emotion Fukuoka do ends up looking like this:

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/customize/BL-04-08-a02.jpg

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/customize/BL-04-08-a03.jpg

They enable the lower sections for tail lights, and the upper sections for brake lights only. Unknown if driver's side lower section is retained for bright fog...

Too bad the bottom section in the JDM doesn't use the dual filament and act as parking also... I think it would look best as such...

TOP - parking (+rear fog if you MUST have it)

MIDDLE - Reverse / Turn

BOTTOM - parking + brake

Opie, I think what folks are asking with 'smoked' is... the trim along the edges of the housing doesn't appear to be chrome like on the US housing, is it dark or chrome?... the pics you had on the car with the flash didn't appear to show the chrome...

Trim is still chrome on the JDM's

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think he would have bought them if they didn't...

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/exterior/k2gear7.jpg

:icon_bigg

-Mike-

That is teh money, and Opie's is like da bomb! Who's the winner in the forum tonight? Mikey. Mikey wins. Opie wins too.

I eventually want JDMs AND tail tints... AND the k2 spoiler like mike has. That is gonna look really good with the spoiler painted.

I really like clear/smoked turn signals that light amber. Front, rear, side mirrors... all of 'em. Plus in the tails, it frees up the red sections to be tail and brake, like they should be.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
maybe we can work a jdm- usdm tailight exchange becuase I saw our taillights on sale in a japanese legacy magazine.

seriously? do you still have the magazine? if so, please scan and post it! i don't think it's legal in japan to have red turn signals but hey people always want what they can't have. :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You mean to my tail light? I bought the car in Atlanta this weekend and didn't notice the tail light was cracked and missing a small hunk of plastic. So the dealer agreed to replace it up to $200. But now i am thinking i might as well get the JDM ones.

Archived