LegacyGT.com

JDM Sedan Tail lights are in....

Opie

Looks nice. Interesting, it seems if the USDM models come with amber turn signals and the JDM comes with either clear or or red, we go with the JDM route and vice versa, on whatever model car it is be it front or rear. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :icon_tong

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like them, but they look basically the same as the OE-USDM ones...

am i missing something?

they are technically the same looking from the outside, well the trim of the taillight is dark and the light as a whole seems abit of smoked effect. And the positions of the turn signals and reverse light is different than USDM

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

it makes sense for the people that DIDNT clear their headlights so that you can have matching front and rear amber corners ;) I may opt for these later.. any wiring differences that you can point out real quick? Good thing that all the wires are prewired on the taillamp itself, I guess Subaru simplified this as well..
Keefe

Noice. I take it that they came with the pig-tail wiring harnesses (from tail lights to main chassis harness...)

Yep, complete pig-tail on the back of the lights themselves, I unplugged and removed my stockers, mounted and plugged in the JDM's...no modification necessary, the plugs and the wiring colors on the pig-tails are identical between the USDM & JDM lights.

Solid Black = Ground

White w/Black stripe = Brake (12v)

Black w/Red Stripe = Reverse (12v)

Solid White = Turn Signal (12v)

Solid Red = Parking (12v)

I wonder why the vid clip shows the tail lights up, and brake lights at the bottom. USDM is the other way around, and JDM doesn't use the bottom for brake, but driver's side rear fog...

Are the upper and lower red section bulbs swappable? (same socket pattern...)

The JDM lights have a dual-element bulb (W21/5W) in the upper red portion of both lights, but those only have one element that comes on with the parking lights, the other never comes on...even though it has a White w/Black stripe wire going into the socket, that wire has no power at any time...I need to follow that wire (White w/Black stripe) from the socket towards the harness plug...and see where it goes...because it never makes it to the harness plug and it doesn't split of the White w/Black stripe wire that goes to the lower bulb...very strange, I gues it just stops soemwhere in the harness....even stranger...why do both lights (Right & Left sides) have a dual-element bulb at the top...maybe the top is the rear fog-light depending on the coutry it goes too? The lower light is a single element (W21W), Reverse light is a single element (921) and the Amber turn signal is a single element (WY21W).

The price has actually been raised a little bit due to an pricing error :lol:

They now run about $350 shipped...of course if the value of the dollar goes up and the yen goes down...they'll be cheaper!

Just go to http://www.japanparts.com and enter: knBL84201 in the "Our Part Number" section on the left...you can order online! :D

why do both lights (Right & Left sides) have a dual-element bulb at the top...maybe the top is the rear fog-light depending on the coutry it goes too? The lower light is a single element (W21W), Reverse light is a single element (921) and the Amber turn signal is a single element (WY21W).

JDM has parking/brake at the top

Bottom is rear fog and should only be on the driver side(whichever country that is for) JDM = right / UKDM = left

JDM has parking/brake at the top

Bottom is rear fog and should only be on the driver side(whichever country that is for) JDM = right / UKDM = left

I noticed that on GT4...but like I said, there is no connection for the wire that goes to the 2nd element on the top bulb...I need to pull the lights back out I guess and figure out where that mystery wire goes...

can you please supply day pictures. Specifically, can you put the USDM tailight next to your new JDM ones in the Day, want to see if there is a difference (like is the JDM really smoked?)

I'll get day pic's as soon as I can get home from work before it gets dark...or it might not be til this weekend. The JDM's are not smoked...they are the same "look" as the USDM's.

Any love for the wagon?

:D The JDM Wagon lights are all red lenses...

I noticed that on GT4...but like I said, there is no connection for the wire that goes to the 2nd element on the top bulb...I need to pull the lights back out I guess and figure out where that mystery wire goes...

I'll get day pic's as soon as I can get home from work before it gets dark...or it might not be til this weekend. The JDM's are not smoked...they are the same "look" as the USDM's.

:D The JDM Wagon lights are all red lenses...

I wonder if the difference (why the one wire never gets power for the upper low filament) is on the Chassis side of the electrical plug, not on the tail light side of the plug... An ever so slight pin-out difference between USDM and ROW, to generate slightly different behavior.

It shouldn't be too hard to re-arrange the light activation, if the pins are removeable and replaceable in those plugs... otherwise one could clip and re-solder wires on the pigtail side of the plug, toward the tail lights to get the desired effect... Heck, even the JDM guys are changing the sedan tail light behaviors...

If I ever get up the cash and gumption to do it, I would probably go with tail lights being the low red section, with upper red sections going bright for brake. Perhaps the lower section going bright (without chmsl) for rear fog on a separate switch.

I do like the fact that the turn signal is separated from the brake lights with the JDM sedan tails... and I also like that it is clear when off, and only amber when lit. Contrast and color change both help it get noticed.

Although I tend to agree than amber tinted lenses, like the USDM Wagon, detract when they are off. I'd rather have red or clear-off/amber-on.

I wonder if the difference (why the one wire never gets power for the upper low filament) is on the Chassis side of the electrical plug, not on the tail light side of the plug... An ever so slight pin-out difference between USDM and ROW, to generate slightly different behavior.

It shouldn't be too hard to re-arrange the light activation, if the pins are removeable and replaceable in those plugs... otherwise one could clip and re-solder wires on the pigtail side of the plug, toward the tail lights to get the desired effect... Heck, even the JDM guys are changing the sedan tail light behaviors...

Ok, the fact the upper red section 2nd filament never gets power is very simple and it has nothing to do with a wiring or pin-out difference...look and see:

I removed the tail light tonight to investigate, here is a pic of the rear of the light assembly and sockets:

http://www.thel7.com/images/Harness1.jpg

You will notice a few things...in the red circle #1 you will see the socket and wires for the upper dual-filament bulb, the black wire is ground, red wire is 12v parking lights and the white/black wire is dead, look closely where it goes into the black tape.... In red circle #2 you will see the a few things, first the white/black wire that went into the tape in red circle #1 never comes out of the tape at the other end, secoond, the socket for the lower single-filament bulb, the black wire is ground and the white/black wire is 12v Brake lights. Also note the white/black wire from the lower socket goes straight into the harness plug and has no other connections.

The reason the second filament never gets power is it isn't supposed to apparently...It seems the wire just stops abruptly inside the black tape...

http://www.thel7.com/images/Harness2.jpg

It's...very, very odd....the only thing I can figure is...maybe the way the lights are shown on GT4 (my only JDM reference) aren't correct, or they have since changed the light orientation since the car in GT4 is a 2003 model...Anybody have pics of a real JDM car with the tail lights on?

Archived