LegacyGT.com

No 6 speed is a GREAT decision

I want a 5 speed  

10 members have voted

1. 1. I want a 5 speed

A six sped is nice, but uneccesary. Most of these cars that you have listed have either a small displacement/low torque engine, or cost a great deal more. It seems that Subaru is going for a low price point (@26-27k for a turbo). The 6-speed must not have offered the benefit to offset the cost. And I don't think that they will stop at just one turbo car. The will come out with more luxury and options as the model line develops. Envision a luxury package adding sound/HID/six speed........This will come if enough GTs are sold. Everyone must realize, the Legacy is a much smaller portion of the Subaru sales. If there are a great deal of options, it prices the car out of range for a large portion of buyers (those with 24-28k to spend still are choosy over price). A lot of these can be added without much cost by the owner, therefeor not puting themselves out of those with an eye towards luxury. Oh, and Unorthodox( :evil: )......If you don't like what subaru is doing, don't buy one. With the posts I have seen here, and at i-club (both are exactly the same wording.) you are just trying to flame and aggravate those uf us who are subaru backers! As for me, a wagon with dead cow, sunroof, and turbo will do me just fine. Sure I'd like a 6-speed, but not enough to buy something FWD for the same $$.

Please let's not have some i-club flame war carryover. People feel strongly about the car, some a little too strongly. I think that we are all gonna be happy with with it once we drive it. Derbagger, I am not pointing this comment only at you.. it seems as though in the last couple of days a few "new" members have decided that this is a forum to air thier gripes about the new Legacy. I know you are not doing that.. I just want people to understand that most of us left those "other" forums so we could talk about a car that we will purchase. Not to bitch at SOA for one thing or another. ...but, I would like to state that I would have bought the car with the 5MT or the 6MT. Doesn't really matter, but the 5MT is lighter :D

[quote])......If you don't like what subaru is doing, don't buy one.[/quote] Don't worry we won't! But you are missing the point here. As far as I know Subaru wants to make money; as any business does. You make more money by expanding and improving your offerings in the marketplace. As the company makes more money, a larger more exciting selection of vehicles is offered, and then everyone is happy. Take Ford for example. If it weren't for the cash cow F-150, other projects would never have been bankrolled. The new GT, Futura etc.

[quote name='Tin_pusher'][quote])......If you don't like what subaru is doing, don't buy one.[/quote] Don't worry we won't! But you are missing the point here. As far as I know Subaru wants to make money; as any business does. You make more money by expanding and improving your offerings in the marketplace. As the company makes more money, a larger more exciting selection of vehicles is offered, and then everyone is happy. Take Ford for example. If it weren't for the cash cow F-150, other projects would never have been bankrolled. The new GT, Futura etc.[/quote] Hey, shouldn't you be driving an STS anyway. :lol: :P

Word on a great thread! 6MTs aren't for everything, and in many cases, they're just status symbols, like the cars he compared them to. 5MT as long as its well strengthened and has well spaced ratios, its not an issue. I've been told the case has received a good deal of strengthening, so it shouldn't be an issue. For the price (estimated $25-28k in my book), there is nothing else that will be able to touch it for overall value at that price range. And don't bring up the SRT or EVO, because they're completely different and form specific. The Legacy GT should excel at so many things. As for the lightweight 6MT that has been rumored, if it is a good deal stronger and can bring better fuel economy to the lineup for a reasonable cost, I think we could see it in all non-STi turbo models and perhaps the H6 by 2010. I'd rather just see the 5MTs become a bit more smooth shifting than anything at this point.

I can only imagine.. there is a local newscaster here on television that's my cousin (same last name) and everyone asks me if I know her... SO FREAKIN' ANNOYING! I have a name that is so unique that there is no way that you have it and am not related to me... too funny, I feel your pain!

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='Gumby']STS = boat with Northstar.[/quote] Dude.. when I was in High School, it wasn't about the twisties.. it was about the 0-60.. and since I hadn't driven anything like it.. I thought it was pimp :lol:[/quote] Fair enough. I drove one a couple of years back and the torque steer was frightning, if you used any gas at all going around a corner you were in a full on wrestling match with the wheel, no joke.

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='SUBE555']I'd rather just see the 5MTs become a bit more smooth shifting than anything at this point.[/quote] Yes, but it is satisfying when mastered.[/quote] Still, the Subaru 5MT isn't nearly as smooth as it could/should be.

I don't mean to be rude but first off my company has nothing to do with my feelings so you can jump off that bandwagon. Secondly I think the this car is fantastic I'm just making some points about what they could improve on. See the idea is that if enough people talk about it on boards like this one and the I-Club then Subaru might make the Legacy with the improvements requested. Thirdly I'm seriously looking at this car as well as the other competitors I mentioned. I would not waste my valuable time squawking about a car I had no intention of buying so please get a grip. Fourthly when was the last time you actually priced an A4 or a V40 or a G35 Sedan (ok the 330i is way out there but is is the same class). The A4 ranges from $28K to $33K, the V40 will be under $30K, if the R model shows it might go to $33K. The G35 sedan is in the low 30's. After reading about the Legacy GT it seems prettyl clear that getting the price to 30K will not be a problem so whats you point. If the Legacy STi ever becomes a reality then I'll get that intead because it will probably have a 6 speed.

V40 is a Saabaru competitor, a small car built on the FOCUS frame that will still be overpriced when you option it out.. oh, and a huge cost to maintain.. The G35 w/ AWD will be well into the mid-high $30K's when you get the options you want. The A4 is about the only car that is even close to the Legacy GT and it is priced about $5,000 more when comperably equiped. I just checked today (w/ the V6, AWD, etc.) These cars are significantly more $$ than the GT.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']V40 is a Saabaru competitor, a small car built on the FOCUS frame that will still be overpriced when you option it out.. oh, and a huge cost to maintain.[/quote] As a former V40 owner figure ~$1000 maintenance a year based on ~15k miles.

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']V40 is a Saabaru competitor, a small car built on the FOCUS frame that will still be overpriced when you option it out.. oh, and a huge cost to maintain.[/quote] As a former V40 owner figure ~$1000 maintenance a year based on ~15k miles.[/quote] HOLY CRAP!

So your only competition still is a 6-speed? You'd get an STi just for the 6-speed? Sorry, but I think thats not enough reason to warranty a purchase of a car soley as its the only true reason I see thus far. Just a few comparisons of similar equiped models from Edmunds.com... Audi A4 3.0 Quattro (6MT) - With similar gear to a Legacy GT Limited, pricing appears to be around the $36k MSRP range BMW 330xi (6MT) - Base price is $36,950 alone! A similar accomodation of options EASILY pushes it to the $42-44k range Infiniti G35X (AUTO-ONLY) - Base of nearly $32k and similarly equipped runs in the $26k range Volvo V40 - Definitely the base Volvo, but not really comparable in form. No AWD and as it appears on Edmunds.com you can't even get it with an MT like the G35X. Base price is still around $30k. I hear its more cramped inside than an Impreza. Just a little bit of observation.

The new S/V40 is not going to be that much smaller than the GT and people will look at Volvo because they have strong marketing for safety also not to mention great customer care. If Volvo comes with the R it will make 300 HP so its not far off the mark, now I'm not a big 5 cylinder fan so the Volvo is probably out pretty quickly for me but anything is possible.

Archived