LegacyGT.com

Roof rack systems for the Legacy Wagon

sjg

I'm a little concerned about just using systems with just the small pad on the hull itself. Fairly fragile hull, and folks have had issues with dents appearing at the pad points.

It looks like all the L-brackets out on the market just work with specific aftermarket racks, thinking now of homebrewing up some foam wrap a layer or two thicker than what the boat rests on, then clamping it with a band clamp.

Will mean the boat is aligned and will give some lateral support, all for like $5.

Hmmm...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What kind do you have? Mine doesn't give me any lift. In fact, at speed, I can open the sunroof and put my hand on the keel and there's no bouncing or lifting going on. I find that keeping the hole between the cross-bars helps. That said, if it were a sit-on-top, I'd definitely flip it over onto it's top and lash it down that way. I notice a 1 mpg loss with the kayak on top, same as I get when I use my Yakima 16 Pro Box.

yeah it's a 17' sit on top, it crazy moves rightside up. like a sail

So my moms 03 impreza's cross bars fit perfect on my lgt. I was skeptical at first but they fit sweet, they are completely flush and look great!! I have know clue what the compatibility with Thule or other systems will be however.

I just test fitted both Impreza bars because I only test fitted the "front" cross bar 4 months ago...I assumed the back would fit perfect too....

The rear bar stops at about 6 inches from the last possible slot toward the hatch. The rails on the LGT roof taper in slightly towards the tail.

I take some pics tomorrow in the daytime to show you guys.

The cross bars do look nice....very sleek and low-key.

Like the low profile, just too bad that you can't use all of the roof rail's fore and aft capacity. Only downside I can see though.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

you can use all the fore its the aft that is short.

Yeah - that's what I meant - thanks for clarifying

It looks like the back rail can be made to fit...but who knows?

I guess it's possible, as long as it doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the cross-bar itself and thus the load-bearing utility.

Ya, the back rail is just a tad short...

one side of the rail allows for a little adjusting but the other side doesn't

I dont have the right size star tool to see what happens when you unscrew those 2 bits. I'm sure that people on a impreza web-site would sell their rails dirt cheap if someone here wanted to attempt this fitting.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know where to get the plastic (or is it rubber) strips to quiet the Mont Blanks down?

Went to their site and noticed they have an (aero) bar rather than the square one.

Anyone know if they have a distributor in the states?

What's the physical outside dimensions on the cross-bar? I'm thinking of ordering a bunch of caps (and will be happy to share with the LGT wagon crew) and just need to know the actual size. Mine's in storage right now or I'd measure it.

Leo - may have misunderstood your question. Are you talking about the end caps or wrapping something around the bar to quiet them down in the air flow?

I've lost a couple of my end caps and I was going to order some new ones (which only come in bulk). Without the end caps, these bars are noisy mofos fosho.

OD?

I'd have to measure but it's the stock ones.

Would like these:

http://www.prolineracks.com/mont-blanc-3700-aero-wing-crossbars.html

Are these ours even though they sea *NEW*?

http://www.prolineracks.com/mont-blanc-3700-crossbars.html

Yes - the outside dimensions

Don't know if those "flatter" aero 3700AW bars would be a strong in the middle (unless they're solid) as the our rectangular (Thule-like) or even round bars (Yakima-like). And yes, the 3700 series are updated versions of our OEM bars/mount system.

Yeah, I'm talking about the thin insert for the "unused" rail that quiets them down. The thin little things.

That slide into place in the groove in the bottom edge and then are held in place by the end cap?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just called the US distributor fro Mont Blanc, Perrycraft and the4 Strips costs 3.53 each plus shipping (chose snailmail)

When I get them I'll post the part number.

Is the length of the OEM bar 37 inches or what? They have the aero wing but only in 47 inches long.

• 7 months later...

Not sure if this is the right section however this post is the most relative to my question.

So, after the long winter decided to try and slide the rack back so I could make full use of the sunroof without obstruction. Anyways as i go to do this, using the Subaru tool, I am unable to even budge the damn bolt. I sprayed the top of the bolt along with the bottom section as well.

Anyone have any pointers/advice for moving these PITA roof racks?

Moderators if you feel my question would best be suited elsewhere please feel free to move it, or let me know to move it.

Thanks.

Karl