LegacyGT.com

Roof rack systems for the Legacy Wagon

sjg

My car came with the aero crossbars. Am I correct in reading that there is no solution to add a single bike carrier without adding bars on top of bars ?

Nothing for the aero bars then ?

Anyone ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing for the aero bars then ?

Anyone ?

Yakima's MightyMounts adapt their racks to our factory aero bars. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on that system, but am curious to hear feedback.

Sounds cool :D

I am definitely interested...

me too!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Hey guys, I am in the process of ordering my stuff for my 06 Legacy wagon. I am going with Yakima. I am getting the EZ rider with 48" cross bars, Skybox 16 (short enough so spoiler doesnt hit when rear is open). Then I had to figure out how to fit 3 bikes into the equation, so I am getting a hidden hitch installed 1 1/4" then going with the Kingpin 4 ( this rack folds the arms down when not in use and also folds straight down so you can access the rear of the wagon) Everything is going to be locking and all using the same key throughout. Yakima also has a promo on right now for FREE LOCKS. The Kingpin 4 I am getting is a 2" receiver mount, but getting a 1 1/4" adapter for $40. I have been trying to figure out what to go with for about a month now this is what I have decided on. Nice thing about this is that I can use the Skybox and the Kingpin 4 on my 03 Jeep Liberty, so that was the biggest issue trying to get something that can be used on both vehicles. Going to cost about $1850 CAD. Hope this helps, and that was a mouth full to type.

• 1 month later...

Pictures to come:

Subaru OEM Cross bars with Thule Criterium bike rack. Got the set-up for right at 200 bucks brand new. The bars alone are quiet. Look good, too! The bike rack itself is nice... didn't want a fork mount that much. Actually the upright bike mount was nealy 15 bucks less than the fork mount.

I just had my dealer shoot me a price on the SUbaru set-up and he quoted me a pretty good price I think.

-$75 for the cross bars

-$122.50 per fork mount bike tray,

I am going to get 2 fork mounts I think

my wife is 5'3" and just in case for some reason she takes a bike on or off I don't want to take a chance w/the front tire on it

I am going to swing by my bike shop and see what they quote me I think and go from there

I am currently working with the owner of Walkermounts, check out his stuff here www.walkermount.com, for a roof rack for the wagons. It will be very similar to some of the truck racks that are on his truck. We are on the second redesign of the "feet" to lock into the rails. the bars should sit ~2 inches above the roof of the car, instead of having tall towers like yakima or thule. Everything is CNC'd 6061 aluminum and can be anodized for a little extra. We are hoping to have a production version in the next 2 months.

Any updates on this? I am ready to pull the trigger and a closer roof mount sounds very very good!!!

Yakima's MightyMounts adapt their racks to our factory aero bars. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on that system, but am curious to hear feedback.

Well, I ended up getting the Mighty Mounts (24H) and a King Cobra bike rack. The Mighty Mounts fit nicely on the factory aero bars, and the King Cobra fits perfectly on the mounts. The whole thing is surprisingly quiet, too.

The only thing that might bother some people is that the rack mounts "backwards" on the roof. This is because the rear wheel tray would extend too far back to open the hatch if mounted frontwards. So the bike goes on the car backwards. Doesn't make any difference except it looks a little unusual. But I actually think the rack itself looks better bikeless in that position. FWIW this is the Yakima-recommended way to mount this rack on this car, so it's fully official.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something extra...

I was rather dissappointed with the bar length and attachment mounting options for the Thule 440 kit, so I modified an extra set of 58 inch bars to fit with the 440 feet. Below are some pics with the bars mounted on the wagon, a pic of the underside of the end of one of the modified bars, and a comparison pic of the 58 inch bar to one of the bars supplied with the 440.

Now I can fit my kayak in the middle and one bike on each end.

Unfortunately, you will need access to a vertical milling machine to pull this mod off. If you have access, then you will need a 7/16 inch end mill to machine an approximate 13+ inch slot into each end of the bars.

The 440 tightening knob is too short to work with the longer bars, so I bought a 2 foot length of square rod from Home Depot. I plan to modify the rod to create a more useful T shaped handle, but a pair of pliers, wrench, or Vice Grips will do for the necessary leverage to twist the feet open and closed. I used standard end caps rather the 440 end caps.

310935937_DSC01354(2).thumb.JPG.6fd55b98e4299f337e4a3de74ca2308d.JPG

1474006531_DSC01355(2).thumb.JPG.c515e3530d1403c52e5c82efb0e75722.JPG

1576260780_DSC01358(2).thumb.JPG.eb98a97bc1c1144bf2a5775ee36c2213.JPG

1800141759_DSC01360(2).thumb.JPG.fd88c02bbe358426d926ed656e8dee36.JPG

• 4 months later...

the key is pretty specific, you should be able to get a replacement one for from Monte Blanc, or post in the wanted area as they come with 2 someone might be willing to part with theres

I have a Yakima King Cobra and I'm looking for a way to mount it to the Mont Blanc bars, which look alot like Thule rectangle bars, is there a place to find a part number for the square bar clamps?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Yakima King Cobra and I'm looking for a way to mount it to the Mont Blanc bars, which look alot like Thule rectangle bars, is there a place to find a part number for the square bar clamps?

Not sure if you ever got a fix in place, but I think the bar clamps are the same for both round and square. I have the same setup as you going on my wagon without any problems.

Cheers,

Mike

I have the EZ-Rider towers from Yakima on my '05 LGT 5MT Wagon (production #'s lower than the Spec B?):icon_wink Used 48" cossbars and steelhead bike racks from Yakima used on a previous car as a trade-in when the LGT was purchased. Very easy install, just had to cut the crossbars to fit the rails/towers.

I have the same setup on my LGT wagon, except I didn't cut my 48" crossbars. I mounted the two Steelheads outboard of the towers. It's easy to load and keeps the center open for a ski rack, kayak rack, or additional bike rack. The outboard mounting does contribute to additional wind noise though.

LGTlevel.thumb.jpg.e7f3d886222c941dd978676113d34ade.jpg

• 2 months later...

Wow...but I thought you weren't supposed to have any load on the bars outside of the feet.

Here's something extra...

I was rather dissappointed with the bar length and attachment mounting options for the Thule 440 kit, so I modified an extra set of 58 inch bars to fit with the 440 feet. Below are some pics with the bars mounted on the wagon, a pic of the underside of the end of one of the modified bars, and a comparison pic of the 58 inch bar to one of the bars supplied with the 440.

Now I can fit my kayak in the middle and one bike on each end.

Unfortunately, you will need access to a vertical milling machine to pull this mod off. If you have access, then you will need a 7/16 inch end mill to machine an approximate 13+ inch slot into each end of the bars.

The 440 tightening knob is too short to work with the longer bars, so I bought a 2 foot length of square rod from Home Depot. I plan to modify the rod to create a more useful T shaped handle, but a pair of pliers, wrench, or Vice Grips will do for the necessary leverage to twist the feet open and closed. I used standard end caps rather the 440 end caps.

• 1 month later...
Wow...but I thought you weren't supposed to have any load on the bars outside of the feet.

The only issue I see with a load placed outside the feet is if that load is too heavy or if it is not balanced by an equal or heavier load between the feet. I would not recommend using extra wide bars, then loading only the outsides. I use the outer part of my extra wide bars for light loads like a light bicycle or for wider loads like a luggage box and a kayak. You need to use some common sense, too, and adhere to the weight limit of the rack.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got the suby mont blanc bars and no issues.

just got a thule big mouth to put on top, and it does its job.

i like the fact its low profile and not "look at me i'm a roof rack" ....unlike some of the other yakima or ezbar type add-ons...

Anybody use j-bars for their longer touring kayaks with the OEM bars? Anybody have a set they wanna get rid of? Getting tired of having to line-up the boat exactly and want a little less give when crosswinds hit.

I use Thule's Roller Coaster Kayak Rack in the back and their Hydro Glide Saddle Kayak rack in the front and that's it. I strap the kayak down (right-side up) at just the front and rear cross bars and don't use any thing else. It's a 17.5' VCP Skerry Sea Kayak (55 lbs or so very similar to an Avocet) and works really well with this setup. Here's some pics from a previous post. The extra line looking thing around the bow/stern area is my lock cable.

Super easy to get the yak on top of the car. Just throw a towel over the rear spoiler to protect it from any sand/grit that might fall off onto it, lift the boat up, set it on the rear Roller Coaster, and slide it directly forward unto the Hydro Glide Saddle.

Slide it fore/aft until you get it where you want it - I slide it forward until the forward edge of the skirt ledge is directly above the front edge of the front crossbar - strap it down so that the strap "locks" into/under the skirt edge, do the same at the rear and I'm done. 10 minutes tops.

Undo the straps, slide the yak back and off and you're ready to put-in or off-load/store your boat. No need for bow/stern tie-offs at all and absolutely no issues with lifting/bouncing or crosswind issues, cruises effortlessly at freeway speeds.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

man, I need to put my kayak upside down because the lift is too crazy, I was getting my gas mileage cut in half on the highway

What kind do you have? Mine doesn't give me any lift. In fact, at speed, I can open the sunroof and put my hand on the keel and there's no bouncing or lifting going on. I find that keeping the hole between the cross-bars helps. That said, if it were a sit-on-top, I'd definitely flip it over onto it's top and lash it down that way. I notice a 1 mpg loss with the kayak on top, same as I get when I use my Yakima 16 Pro Box.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -