LegacyGT.com

Roof rack systems for the Legacy Wagon

sjg

Nice wagon Claw. :D

Btw, the old Thule Evolution (I think I have the 1600) boxes fit perfectly. The nose does not over hang the windshield and the gate clears in back. Fits 185cm skis.

Edited by Dujo

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I was so sidetracked by the sweet picture I forgot to update about the outback racks on a legacy.

The rubber shoes are definitely different, altering them maybe an option, but the outer part of the shoe still won't grab the outer indent.

As it stands right now, I'm gonna see if there are some type of adapter pieces

any update on the canadian rack fitment?

Ummmm, yeah.... I'd like to say I've got any kind of update on this. Sorry. Right to the point though, outback factory cross racks don't fit on to legacy's. the factory rails on the cars are different. But apparently, there are Canadian factory cross rails in existence, if you have a legacy, settle for nothing less.

Which makes me think, I have an Outback factory cross rail available for sale, brand new!! Any takers??

any update on the canadian rack fitment?

I'm pretty sure they fit, there was an earlier post on it

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3324480&postcount=183

I looked into them years ago, gave up only because I got lazy with trying to reach a Canadian dealer to order them from.

After the Yakima Railgrab didn't work out for me (see my earlier posts on this thread)...I settled for these:

http://www.prolineracks.com/mont-blanc-3700-aero-wing-crossbars.html

...which aren't as low profile as the OEM Canadian units...but have served me well. Fit is great and with my moonroof open, a bit less noise than with the round Yakima bars I used to have.

I noticed that Yakima now has these, and according to their site, they are compatible with the 4th Gen wagons, but double check them:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/rack-systems/factory-tracks-or-rails/whispbar-s41-rail

Now I know these aren't "low profile" but they sure work.

Keep in mind that these cars are now 8 years old. Many of the roof rack companies may not be updating their product to make them fit better on these "older" cars.

Anyways, I've found this to work nicely;

2005 Legacy GT limited wagon with sunroof.

Thule Atlantis 1600 XT black --- 686 BXT

-Thule Specialty railing carrier with load bars 440.

-SR2 Short roofline kits (SR kits).

and this is the result (sorry about the pics---most are cell phone);

Clears tailgate = Yes,

Use of sunroof while box is on = no

Noisy = No (If I have just the cross bars on yes, but with the box on you don't actually hear anything -quiet as can be-)

Hangs over windshield = No (box nose is directly above top of windshield)

Box opens from both sides so very easy access

IMG_0951_Final.jpg.487667df2319170671ccc78c950cde52.jpg

IMG_0961_FINAL.jpg.b27eeb74cd72a23d71732ff861768dd8.jpg

photo5454_FINAL.jpg.696b5a5b4f7070427f42463a16395b58.jpg

photo1578.jpg.d326f1c1bb8159a2414f111799432cbb.jpg

Ohai Mendozer. ;)

I had a 1600 originally but it wouldn't fit my XC skis.. the Boxter does however, which is good. I don't remember how much it protruded over my windshield but I recall it wasn't much.

I saw a Prius with the Boxter over the weekend.. it was about the same size as the car. So much for fuel efficiencies..

The Canadian OEM bars do fit the US wagon. It really wasn't that big of a deal to track a set down. I think I called 3 different dealers getting the same quote from the first two, then the 3rd had a used set, which I bought.

It was worth it because I have yet to see nicer bars on this gen Legacy.

Ohai Mendozer. ;)

I had a 1600 originally but it wouldn't fit my XC skis.

The "skis" part is the problem right there :lol:.

Boards fit poorly in these boxes. But the 1600 was the widest and tallest that fit on my car. There are a few alternate (very long) options for those people with unimaginable length skis:).

• 3 months later...

I'll bump this thread back up...

Looking for details on the OEM Montblanc crossbars. These work great for me since I can use them on my explorer as well! I would like to lock the cams of the bars using the Tamper resistant nuts on each lock ut can't find the size of the Female Torx socket I need. I can lock them via needle nose pliars but don't want to damage anything....

Anyone have the specific size I need to order?

THX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey peeps with Canadian cross bars... Does anyone know where I can find the 'feet' that slide into the track for flush mounting the actual ski rack to the bars? I've got the Thule ski ski rack that fits fine right now by clamping around the whole aero bar, but I think if I can mod it to bolt through the ski rack it will look prettier and be more secure.

I'd kinda like to either avoid fabbing a whole new piece, or at least have some pictures and specs of the proper piece as a starting point.

Oh, and this is somewhat pressing now that I've lost one of the security torx bolts, and replaced it with a zip tie ><

Edit:

Will this kit work?

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-ski-rack-flush-mount-adapter-kit.html

Edited by Brock Samson

I watched the YouTube video on your link, and that idea looks much better. The only downside I could see is that you'd have to remove the rubber stripping from the top of bar, in order to access the channel. I personally think that the bars would likely whistle pretty loud without that rubber top.

If you're planning on keeping the ski mount on your car permanently then you might be able to cut the rubber top to fill the gaps.

Hey peeps with Canadian cross bars... Does anyone know where I can find the 'feet' that slide into the track for flush mounting the actual ski rack to the bars? I've got the Thule ski ski rack that fits fine right now by clamping around the whole aero bar, but I think if I can mod it to bolt through the ski rack it will look prettier and be more secure.

You don't have the Thule Aero bars do you? I asked my tech guy and he said they weren't making any feet to fit the Aerobars on the 05 wagons?

Did anyone ever follow up from the post earlier in the thread saying that the impreza aero seemed to fit with some mods? I think I about got the last set of OEM bars in the country a couple weeks ago from a dealer in Maryland. They are loud and I am wondering if it would be worth the effort to look at the impreza bars again?

I managed to get some when I picked up my wagon in 2010, but don't think they're that common any more. You may still be able to find a set though.

I know I did some calling around for someone from the US and was told that they weren't stocked anywhere any more. Good luck with the search, you may get lucky.

I like my oem bars for the looks but kind of wish I could go aftermarket for extra hauling space.

• 4 months later...
I've got the Mont blanc Subaru bars for my 05 gt wagon and they came without keys. They function just fine but I haven't been able to lock them. Just wondering if anyone knows where to track down keys/ if it's worth it?