LegacyGT.com

Single exhaust conversion (get ride of the duals)

omahasubaru

I stumbled across this kit in Japan for the BP/BL Legacy GT. It's offered/made by... [img]http://www.cts-kumamoto.com/logo/2004.jpg[/img] It converts/closes the stock exhaust from duals to single. I don't know how good it is for efficency, but it's a option for those who don't like the duals. [img]http://img133.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/3/2/0/7/cts_corporation-img600x343-1074524120fit-all2.jpg[/img] [img]http://img133.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/3/2/0/7/cts_corporation-img515x376-1074524126p-brk.jpg[/img] This could be a WTLW, but I thought I'd post it for your guys.

[quote name='bemani']It's just a plate to block off one exhaust? That doesn't look very efficient - exhaust flow wise.[/quote] I don't think you understand. It coveres the indention where the other muffler would go. The exhaust itself is router through one muffler.

I was talking about that metal plate, not the plate that covers the bumper. No I don't understand how it is installed. Where does the metal plate go? How do you re-route the exhaust gas? Do you only remove the 2nd muffler and block it? You need to block the exhaust at the Y junction split for it to be efficient but I don't see a replacement pipe for that. I'm just imagining it to be like an appendix for your exhaust ...

OK...somewhat off topic but related to the pic in the initial post... is it me or do the reverse lights look different. The one on the right looks like LEDs and the one on the left looks like a standard incandescent setup. Oh... and I agree... I like the dual exhaust. It gives it a more aggressive look.

I personally like the duals, and the plate combo above is counter-productive. They're still using one stock muffler, which allows for half the exhaust flow creating more back pressure, downright not ANY performance upgrade. You're actually losing more than you're gaining. If you go to a single, you have to use something about the size of something that you'd use for an FXT or STi for proper exhaust flow, particularly if you're going for the performance aspect. I HIGHLY recommend against blocking off one of the Y-pipes. If you go single, it the entire Y-pipe + muffler assembl should be replaced with at least the stock diameter piping as is up the line towards the turbocharger.

[quote name='bemani']I was talking about that metal plate, not the plate that covers the bumper. No I don't understand how it is installed. Where does the metal plate go? How do you re-route the exhaust gas? Do you only remove the 2nd muffler and block it? You need to block the exhaust at the Y junction split for it to be efficient but I don't see a replacement pipe for that. I'm just imagining it to be like an appendix for your exhaust ...[/quote] Oh, in that case, the plate must block off one of the Ys. Indeed this is counter productive without increasing pipe diameter.

Archived