LegacyGT.com

Tokyo Auto Salon: Jan. 13-15th

Will anybody be there in addition to Mr. P. Hansen of AVO?

Let me know what kind of pics and vids you guys would like to see and I will see what I can do to make it happen. Also, if you have been Japan and can give this first timer any tips or lessons you learned from your visit/trip/experience/life in Japan, please do not hesitate to share it with me.

All I can share is about life in Osaka. Much different than Tokyo.

I'd surf the Japan forum to get tidbits on Japan in general.

All I can say is that you Will have a blast, as I am sure you are very much into the JDM auto heritage. Treat the locals with lots of respect and you will receive it back ten fold. it's all about showing good form and great manners over there.

I've wanted to go to TAS for 8 years now... one day I will get back there and do it. Too bad that CES in Vegas is so close, and I can't go to TAS for 'work' purposes and write it off! LOL.

Take lots of pics of everything you find interesting and cool, including things outside the convention centre. Post 'em up on a image sharing service and we'll all envy your trip once you are back!

Best of luck!

You know where you are gonna stay? Taking the train to Makahari isn't too hard if you are near a big transit hub, at worst you need one train transfer.

Get there early, the crowd only gets worse.

Eat there = looooooooooong ass wait. Bring a sandwich for lunch if you want to save time and maximize hall cruising.

Do not miss the parking lot!!! The convention hall may be great, but its all bought up by big company. If you want to see small garage shop tuners or regular joe's car, check out the parking lot. You will see all the stuff that you don't get to see in a magazine.

All forms of courtesy is gone in the convention hall... If you have this image of polite japanese people in mind, those race-queen fan will destroy that image. I was comfortable in rush hour subway, but at the show, I was elbowed and bumped out of the way more than I ever have in my entire life (and I grow up in a packed metro much like Tokyo). So protect your camera shots, and make it quick before someone bumps you out of the shot.

Take pics of everything and sort it out later. I was numbed after a couple of hours, so I stopped taking pics. Later I realized that I missed out a lot of shots that I would want otherwise. I guess after seeing a lot of stuff, another wide body sedan or 4-rotor Rx-7 just seemed mundane...until you left the hall.

• 2 weeks later...
I already asked Paul but could someone stop by the Defi display and take pics of their new upcoming 52mm gauges? I just got an e-mail from defi about them. Defi's lack of info on them other than "they're a new generation of gauges" intrigued me.

Thanks for the pics. Are the EL ones in the 2nd photo 52mm? That may be what was refered to in my e-mail.

This is the e-mail I got from defi.

Hi, James.

Thank you for inquiry.

We are now under development of new generation 52mm gauges

and we'll exhibit some prototype on Tokyo Auto Salon that will be held next

week.

This will not be red backlight. but includes turbo gauge in it.

Thank you and best regards.

Hiroshi Kagami

Defi

Thanks for the pics. Are the EL ones in the 2nd photo 52mm. That may be what was refered to in my e-mail.

This is the e-mail I got from defi.

Hi, James.

Thank you for inquiry.

We are now under development of new generation 52mm gauges

and we'll exhibit some prototype on Tokyo Auto Salon that will be held next

week.

This will not be red backlight. but includes turbo gauge in it.

Thank you and best regards.

Hiroshi Kagami

Defi

Hi,

Not sure what size they are, but they were separately displayed, so they may be the new ones. I may visit super autobacs soon, so I will check brochure and pricing. sorry for shitty quality of these pics. taken after a long drive and a long ass walk in cold weather. i didnt know what i was doing until like 20th photo or so... :D

Archived