LegacyGT.com

Ugliest car..

petmor

What do you guys think?

Automotive design & production magazine has voted the Tribeca the ugliest new car.

The most beautiful car was Dodge Charger SRT 8. Go figure that it's only "american" cars. Neither of them are available in Europe. We will get Dodge here and for the Tribeca, Subaru here says that they'll wait and see.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ass-tek is out of production. Thankfully.

here's my take on ugly versus beautiful... Feel free to skip it, if you like...

Saturns entire lineup should be on the ugly list, and it should win simply because they are ALL ugly. Sky will be the exception next year.

The Tribeca would be passable without the schnozz. With it, it is ugly. I have never warmed to it, although I have warmed a bit to the 06 WRX nose. Of course I really like the Legacy/OB. I have some improvements, but it is quite a canvas to start with...

Aston Martin should be at the top of the beautiful list. DB9 tied with F430 for the most beautiful. Vantage V8 second place. Jag S-type R third, and Range Rover Sport at the head of the SUV class. British car design is really on point right now...

The Jag XK is hot, too, save the oddly round AND angular headlights, and gimmicky tail lights. The sheetmetal is gorgeous.

Saturn's upcoming

Sky is also a british design that is right on, and looks WAY better than the Solstice.

Charger SRT 8 is a decent looking car. Not the best, but not the worst either. My big problem is the weight, and lack of an MT.

Audi's S4 looks good, but under the skin, reliablity and smallness is against it. A6 and A8 are good, if not flamboyant. BMWs no longer look stunning, but just weird, although the Z4 Coupe is pretty good, if you can keep from looking at the front end. Minis are cool, though, of course. VW looks generic in a whole new way...

Mercedes benz is close behind VW with their cars being boring, or in the case of the CLS, R and M classes, are downright ugly. I don't see what everyone likes about the CLS. it is bizarre, and certainly not a coupe, no matter what the advertising brainwashing claims.

Porsche is world class, still. Cayman looks odd in pictures, because the roof has such a high compound curve, and the quarter windows look different. I preferred the sketches that had 996-style quarter windows, before the actual car was unveiled... lt looked more natural. But overall the cayman looks good. 997 looks better. Cayenne looks like a Tribeca, or is it the other way around?... neither is a beauty queen, despite other qualities.

Alfa romeos 159 and Brera look cool, and the 8C competizione is one of the sexiest concept cars EVAR! Maserati's cars are an aquired taste, but I think they are good looking.

The only American cars that I can think of as decent looking, aside from the mentioned Charger/300, are the Mercury Milan, CTS and STS. I like the look of the Mustang, but it is too overweight and bulky. Technical aspects (no IRS, weight) are what kick it firmly out of my favor.

C6 Vette looks ok, but there are some aspects that are weird, such as the ridges in the roof from the a-pillar, and the square intakes on the front end, and the interior.

I thought the Pontiac Bonneville looked good, but the interior is GM, and the car is discontinued now. G6, Grand Prix, Torrent are ugly. GTO is passable, but not groundbreaking.

Chryslers other than RWD are ugly. Crossfire is interesting the first time, but gets old to look at.

Fords are bland, except Focus which i have never liked, with the bathtub look to the rear end. Mercurys are slightly less bland, and Lincolns are just repetative. Mazdas look ok, but are on the odd side, with the RX8's front end, Miata's new front end and gimmick tail lights, and the MS6's added details. MP5 (minivan thingy) is UGLY. the 3 5-door is ugly, but the 4 door is decent, if small. Tribute is yet another re-hash of a ford.

GM. Enough said already. Chevys look cheap, Buicks look bland and round, Pontiacs look bland and less round, caddilacs (DTS, escalade, SRX) look bland and angular, hummers are bland and square... pick your flavor.

Infinitis and Nissans look interesting. Not always great, but at least not really bland.

Honda: it should tell you something that they are advertizing their new stylish accord. (read: we see that you hated it before, so we changed the tail lights a bit...) S2k looks good. Acuras are decent looking, but again not a styling home run. Civic is stirring things up, but only because it is new. We'll see how long that lasts.

Toyota: Almost universally bland. Scion tC looks decent. Celica looked decent, for FWD, before they started screwing with the nose... IS and GS lexus try to look sporty, but still look like appliances. Trucks looks bad, especially from the front.

Others: Volvo-boring, but concepts might be interesting if they materialize, Saabs are uglier again. they were starting to really come into their own, but they just did an about face... with that racoon face look.

Hyundai and Kia couldn't find style with two hands and a flashlight, without ripping off Ferrari (tiburon) or Jaguar (kia amanti)

Holden has shown some promise, if GM will ever let them build a few new cars, if they platforms are ever ready...

I am sure there are a few I have left out...

My comments on a couple that you didn't specifically touch on:

I like the look of the Infinity FX. It isn't very functional as it's a big vehicle with a small interior, but it looks sharp.

I've always loved the Viper. Much more attractive thatn the Vette imo.

I really liked the Nissan Z at first, but not so much anymore. It looks kinda cheap to me, especially compared to the G35 coupe. The verdict is still out on Nissan's SUVs. They really made them chunky looking which in my opinion made the larger Pathfinder and Armada just look too big, whereas the Xterra looks pretty good now. I just don't like the offset placement of the badges on the back.

I'm looking forward to Toyota's new FJ Cruiser. So far the exterior is growing on me (with the exception of that huge pillar), but the pics of the interior that I've seen are horrendous. My new vehicle will be something along the lines of the Xterra or FJ as it needs to be comfortable enough for long drives with space enough for 4 and their camping gear, but capable of some decent offroading.

petmor - WTF ?

- G.U.T.S. (Grand Undertaking -- Though Strident): The Subaru B9 Tribeca.

As Browning put it, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp -- or what's

a heaven for?" Points are earned for trying to create an SUV that is

more than the quotidian. From the front snout flanked by wings to a

belt line along the side that suddenly -- and unfathomably -- becomes

aggressively pronounced before its resolution in the shape of the tail

lamps, this is a vehicle that ignores Van der Rohe's maxim that "less

is more." This is more, more, more.

Aston Martin should be at the top of the beautiful list.

BMWs no longer look stunning, but just weird, although the Z4 Coupe is pretty good, if you can keep from looking at the front end.

Honda:

+1 on the Aston Martins.

Disagree on the BMW's, the 6 series looks really nice up close (and even better sitting in it).

Hondas? The Element just behind the Aztek as the fugliest car in recent memory...

And for the record, I still can't warm up to the Tribeca, and I like the Charger.

']This is untrue. Read their press release:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-20-2005/0004237061&EDATE=

The Tribeca's exterior design received an award for daring to be different.

Actually it's both...they were just nice about it. Strident has an "out there in an offensive sort of way" connotation.

Strident:

1: conspicuously and offensively loud

2: unpleasantly loud and harsh

Grand Undertaking = Daring to be different

Though Strident = Ugly

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really can't argue with their call on the tribecca. I saw the commercials and though someone beat it with the ugly stick. Then I saw them in person and though the rear end wasn't actually bad and only the fornt end went down for the count after the ugly stick got broke out. Now I have been behind a few in traffic and the rear end is back to being nasty in my opinion. Not real bad, just really uninspired.

As for their charger call, I think they are out of their minds. Granted, it looks better in the flesh in some colors than in the picks, but it's not really good looking, and given it's me too styling off it's older siblings, not very original either.

Although I'll cut them some slack since there weren't a whole lot of new 2006 designs out there to choose from. Most of the realy attractive cars are a year or more old.

Archived