LegacyGT.com

Helicopter noise from under the car?

So, I do have a rebuilt serviceable driveshaft. I just for reference.. Maybe it was from the driveshaft store? I’d have to look at my records. But anyways, it’s making a helicopter kinda noise right under the car and is that normal NVH or is the “serviceable” U-joint bad? Also, if that’s what it is, is it bad and potentially dangerous to drive it like that? Like, could it snap and all that?

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this, and how easy is it to fix it myself and source the part for those U-joints? Thanks!

No.
Maybe.
Yes, A little.
Probably not, but do you want to find out?

Seriously, it’s not that hard of a job. Pulling the driveshaft is just 6 bolts.

You should be able to see any play in it if it’s making that much noise. I would imagine whoever made the driveshaft will be able to tell you what part you need. Most likely it’s something like a Ford F150 joint or whatever. Something that will handle the power and is ultra common at parts shops.

Looks like the exhaust is in the way and a heat shield? Yargh. Last time I did a driveshaft rebuild was on a 90 Volvo 245. 😂I’m sure the LGT is quite different. I know I took it all off once before, and I can do it again.
but I’d be worried that I couldn’t get balanced right or whatever. At that point, would it be better to buy a “new” Driveshaft shop one? Or what’s even the point of serviceable one? 

• 4 weeks later...