LegacyGT.com

Not firing-several issues 1999 sus sedan ej2.5

I can almost guarantee that you have bent valves if it broke while in motion, and with all the cranking that's happened. When my single cam's tensioner bracket failed it took all sixteen valves with it.

IMG_20150204_200702.jpg

48 minutes ago, cbrianroll said:

Soooo….why would a new belt break?!?!?

I'm pulling the rest of the cover as we speak…

When you did the head gaskets and new timing belt, did you replace the three timing pulleys (two smooth, one toothed) as well?

Most belt breaks I've seen are when the bearings in the toothed pulley seize (I had one happen to my '99 as well.

What brand timing belt kit did you use?  The only thing I can think of that could cause it to break if all the timing components were new, is that a cam potentially seized.  Are all four cams easily turned?  Try to get the crank on its mark before attempting to turn the cams too much, just in case to keep additional damage to a minimum.  But from my picture example above, damage has likely occurred.  I even have dashcam footage of when mine broke!  My buddy was taking it across the mountains to spokane, he was just driving normally on the freeway.  There was a momentary loss of power and you can hear him go what the fuck, power comes back for a moment before there's nothing. He was pretty lucky it happened on 405 just before 167 or that could have been a realllly bad trip.

It was the evergreen kit, which I thought got good reviews. Cams all turned normal, maybe something seized, but then broke also? Guess we’ll take it apart to see. Most sure it’s worth the money to fix that much damage…his car, his choice.

Its nice when things break close to home lol. This happens miles away.

Cams can snap.  At this point it could be anything and you probably wont know without a tear down. 

Maybe look for a "good" used engine ($700-$900?) to just drop in and then you have yours as spare parts when you figure out what is salvageable. 

Depends on how much work you can or will do yourself.

I wasn't excited about doing my first diff work on my favorite car, so I asked a local shop how much to take my already removed from vehicle diff and put new input and axle seals in the diff and just check the backlash.  He quoted $3,000.  I got the parts and did it in an hour for about $50 in parts.  Of course putting it back in the car took a couple hours as well what with the cradle and all the bushings replaced with poly, but yes, prices are stupid lately.

I got it with blown heads gaskets. Supposedly it over heated once, nothing seemed warped. I pulled the motor, checked for warpage with a machinists straight edge, prepped heads on 1/2 in glass and sandpaper, block was prepped similarly. Valves were good so did nothing to them. This time around I’m not sure about valves, I’ve never really messed with them besides in a few motorcycles with adjustable lifters. This is an ej2.5d so it has the other kind…can’t think of the name…I learn as I go, fairly competent lol, just more of a parts swapper than a troubleshooter.

Son isn’t sure if he wants to spend the money to fix it or get a reliable car. I’m curious though so I may tear into it to kill that…

I just did the rear ring and pinion in my jeep, needs to do the front now…

• Like 2