LegacyGT.com

EJ255 BR9 to a 09 legacy 2.5i

ZuluKing

My motor blew on my 09 2.5i, and I got a new ej255 out of a BR9, I have the ecu and harness out of the br9, but was wondering what else I might need or things I might run into. New to the forum and semi new to Subaru's! 

Never did a 5th gen engine into a 4th gen car.  But, the engines are not a direct replacement.  There are differences in the oil pans and intakes, as well as the engine mounts. 5th gen mounts are on the trans and front of the engine.  So fabrication would be required.  If you need the ecu and harness it is most likely not a legal swap. 

First the engine will not mount in the chassis without fabricating new cradle/mount.  Basically a subframe.  As this is not DOT tested or approved it may not be street legal.  Insurance companies would have a fit if there was an accident.  Then there is the electronics.  You are modifying emissions sytems with an ecm swap.  That is a federal offense and illegal in many states as well.

The big problem is the engine does not mount. Cost to make it fit will far exceed cost to rebuild or replace with same.  Then you have possible legal/registration/emissions issues.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, m sprank said:

... fabrication would be required.  If you need the ecu and harness it is most likely not a legal swap. 

Once again, reason rears its ugly head!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png