LegacyGT.com

2017 3.6r 189K CVT warranty : )

So I'm new to this forum but I come bearing good news in the CVT failure department.  I own a 2017 legacy 3.6r with roughly 89K on the clock. About late November of 2022 I small whine started which was only present while I had the accelerator pedal pressed even barely, but when I let go it would stop. As the end off the year grew closer the whine was significantly louder. People noticed and asked what the hell.was the noise. I grew worried that my CVt was screaming in pain. 

I considered trading it in but we all know where the used car values went. So I chose to ride or die. Well it did not take to long as about a month ago heading to work at 5am I slowed down for a red light, about 10mph I got a loud bang and a jerk forward. I immediately tried to pull to the right but the lane was blocked so I stepped on the gas and see drove fine. 20 miles later I was getting off the expressway and again at 10mph I experienced a loud bang followed by a Christmas tree off lights on the dash. The car drove like a bucking bronco but I was 1/4 from work so I pressed on as the noises grew louder and angrier.  When I stopped in the parking a hiss followed by a explosion of cvt fluid underneath.  My CVT was dead.

Angry and passed at my self for chosing to by a CVT transmission car I searched for answers and repair quotes. Subaru dealer said I was screwed, CVT transmission only has a 60K warranty.  Long story short a friend said I would call subaru North America and file a complaint( I did not know this was an option) but was told they might cover a portion of repairs. So I called Subaru NA and filed a complaint that my reliable car is not as reliable as advertised.  Three days later Subaru NA called me back. They will extend my warranty to 100K and to drop the car off at the dealer. They replaced the CVT with a brand new one under warranty . The new CVT comes with another 100K warranty , Expires at 189K . Hope this helps anyone feeling helpless in CVT failure. I'm glad I did and had my faith restored in Subie's.

• Like 2

You were misinformed. The warranty on the CVTs in all MY 2010-2018 Legacys and Outbacks was extended to 10 years/100,000 miles via a sequence of several TSBs. The CVT warranty for your 2017 Legacy was extended per TSB 16-115-18. Your dealer should have known that. In addition, all affected owners were notified by mail back in 2018.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that your CVT was replaced at no cost to you.

TSB_16-115-18_CVT_Warranty_Extension_MY2016-2017.pdf

• Like 1

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png