LegacyGT.com

Appleplay Integraton on the Gen 5 Harmon Kardon headset

Owners, 

I am trying to find the most cost effective way to integrate Appleplay into the factory radio unit on my wife's 2012 Legacy 3.6R Limited.  My son drives it now so the stakes are high that I can pull this off, score incredible dad points and retain my coolness as I cross the mid-50 line.

The factory unit is the Harmon Kardon XM satellite, 9 speaker, single CD with USB port / iPod control, Bluetooth audio streaming, hands free phone connectivity, and the 3.5mm aux jack.  (Yes, I still have the window sticker and accessories book).

Looking for either a device that I can connect inside the dash or something on the aux jack or USB port.  I am not opposed to sending it to a reputable company for retrofitting if that's an option.

Thanks in advance.

There may be options to integrate it, but for a number of reasons and max dad points, I'd go for a full replacement unit. Crutchfield has a Metra kit to convert the dash to accept a double-din radio and add a storage cubby. I chose a head unit that offers wireless carplay, which after living with it, is the only way I'd consider using carplay going forward. Going aftermarket also opens up options for other features like cameras, gauges, etc.

Crutchfield also has the appropriate adapters to connect the radio to the car's harness without having to cut any wires, and gives you great instructions to DIY it.