LegacyGT.com

replacement radiator for the 2.5GT (normal sort of radiator)

3 hours ago, FLlegacy said:

Fwiw I used an epdm nipple plug from the oem replacements section of the local auto parts store to plug that extra connection on my aftermarket radiator. No issues with that so far.

Yeah - I'm looking at the Koyo radiator (VH091662) - I really wanted to stick with OEM (I just like to do that... it's sad) but if it doesn't work out by mid-week, I'll order up the Koyo - I believe it either doesn't have the extra hole, or the hole is threaded and will take a plug.

11 minutes ago, DrD123 said:

Yeah - I'm looking at the Koyo radiator (VH091662) - I really wanted to stick with OEM (I just like to do that... it's sad) but if it doesn't work out by mid-week, I'll order up the Koyo - I believe it either doesn't have the extra hole, or the hole is threaded and will take a plug.

Yeah I believe the STI Koyo rad's turbo reservoir line bung is threaded on and can be removed and plugged as per BBPeik's how-to.

IIRC there are other options that have been posted somewhere here in the forum if you are open to all alum rads too.

I have searched a bit and couldn't find a list per se - looks like the Koyo VH091662 fits as plug and play, the Mishimoto MMRAD-STI-08 looks like it can fit, but might require modification (hard to say - the person that installed it has an upgraded charge pipe which complicated things - not sure how it would work with the OEM charge pipe) - are there others that will work?  I have seen some folks comment on poor build quality from Mishimoto, so I was leaning towards the koyo...

I have the Mishimoto x-line in 08 STI fitment. I’ve had it for maybe 13-14 years. The thicker core is a bit of a pain and the extra capacity is unnecessary for a street car. The only modification I needed to do was trimming the radiator hoses and clearancing the fan shroud slightly. I would recommend the standard thickness, or the Koyo. Haven’t looked at the price differences recently but I’d lean Koyo if they are in the same ballpark. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, DrD123 said:

This is the exact one I bought and it dropped in plug and play. It came with the plug so that it works both for the STi and WRX(which also doesnt need the extra connection that the STi does)

• Thanks 1

Well - it's installed and leak tight, so I can finally give my kiddo her Pilot back.

So for folks that have replaced their radiator, did you replace the foam tape insulator things at the top and bottom?  The bottom is about an inch and a half wide and maybe 3/4" thick and the top is about an inch wide and maybe a half inch thick.  I ended up getting some 1" wide, 1" thick (well - it expands to that thick - it's to fill gaps from 1/4" to 1") foam tape meant for metal roofs (figure if it can handle that in NM, the heat from the radiator is a non-issue) - couldn't bring myself to buy two little pieces of foam tape each priced more than a roll of the stuff I got (I think it was $8 at home depot).  The stuff I bought seemed to work just fine, and it's pinched between the radiator and the radiator support by design, so even if the adhesive fails, it's not going anywhere...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FLlegacy said:

I was able to reattach the original foam to my aluminum radiator with some double sided foam tape.

That was my plan B (using some trim adhesive I have) - my original is sort of full of crap (at least the bottom one) from tumbleweeds, etc.