LegacyGT.com

Wet Trans Pan with Engin Oil

Good morning,

Finally got to user my Quickjacks to do an oil change on my 2015 Subaru 3.6R. With the new lift having access to the whole underside of the car was nice all be it on my back. Anyway I found the transmission pan to be damp with what looks like engine oil. Pics attached:. Anyone see this before and what should I be looking to do next? Car just turned 78500 miles. Thanks

Trans Pan Wet 1.jpg

Trans Pan Wet looking toward Back of car.jpg

Trans Pan Wet looking toward Front of car.jpg

Trans Pan Wet looking toward Front of car2.jpg

Trans Pan meets engin toward Front of car2.jpg

Trans Pan Wet looking from passenger side of car.jpg

Trans Pan meets engin toward Front of car passenger side.jpg

Trans Pan Wet looking from passenger side of car 2.jpg

I have a very small amount in that area but it looks more like diff oil to me. In your case I would clean the whole area and check back in a week to see if there is any indication where it's coming from.

That TSB addresses trans seepage, then calls out CVT, then lists a bunch of cars without them after you said it was likely engine oil so I'm sure it's going to apply.

other than the STi, all of those models have CVT's, but that's likely "tsbsearch" doing wonky stuff with the tsb's applicability of the "12-19 Impreza".

I actually see this problem a lot and assumed it was rear main before i learned of the TSB. CVT fluid with mileage on it looks a lot like engine oil.

Thank you all for your insight. We did have several days of near zero temps here and due to a project in progress the car was out in it instead of in the garage. I will clean off the oil as you all have suggested and see where it goes from here. I checked  TSB 16-103-16R and the listed Sarting VIN for the Legacy does not seem to include my model. Mine does not start with L3002280... Maybe I am reading it wrong? If it turns out to be this any experience on the repair costs? Thanks again

TSB 16-103-16R - VIN.PNG

Edited by NNJLegacy

On 1/3/2023 at 10:54 AM, DougKelly20 said:

I have a very small amount in that area but it looks more like diff oil to me. In your case I would clean the whole area and check back in a week to see if there is any indication where it's coming from.

That TSB addresses trans seepage, then calls out CVT, then lists a bunch of cars without them after you said it was likely engine oil so I'm sure it's going to apply.

Thank Doug for the advise I plan to do just that and get back to putting the car in the garage before the cold weather returns.

14 hours ago, NNJLegacy said:

Thank you Silverton for the explanation... so my Legacy ends with F3016430... so this TBS is not related to my car then?

Sorry for not explaining it well. F comes before L in the alphabet, so the only 3.6R's not affected by this TSB would be the 2019's starting with 3002280.  All 2015-2018 and maybe some 2019 MY Legacy 3.6R's are in this TSB.  The fix was not put in to the production line until the 2019 MY starting with VIN L3002280

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 7:57 AM, silverton said:

Sorry for not explaining it well. F comes before L in the alphabet, so the only 3.6R's not affected by this TSB would be the 2019's starting with 3002280.  All 2015-2018 and maybe some 2019 MY Legacy 3.6R's are in this TSB.  The fix was not put in to the production line until the 2019 MY starting with VIN L3002280

OK thank you for the more clear explanation

• Like 1