LegacyGT.com

My Subaru Is Making A Strange Noise, I Can't Find The Reason (EZ30)

My Subaru is a 2008 Legacy with an EZ30 engine, and it's making a noise I can't figure out why. The noise is on the left side (looking at the engine from the front), on the side where the air filter is located. The noise occurs below the intake manifold, and it appears when the air conditioning compressor activates, however the noise is on the opposite side where the compressor is. I have already changed the belt of accessories, pulleys and others, but nothing solved this noise. Another detail is that sometimes even with the air compressor activated the noise does not appear. In person it sounds a lot like a compression sound being lost. I recorded a video and posted it on YouTube, link below:

Sounds like a worn valve adjustment.  Could be too much gap between the cam and valve.  If you have a long screwdriver, you can place the tip on the valve cover and your ear on the handle and move the tip along the valve cover and see if the noise is easy to locate.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Parece um ajuste de válvula desgastado. Pode haver muita folga entre o came e a válvula. Se você tiver uma chave de fenda longa, pode colocar a ponta na tampa da válvula e a orelha no cabo e mover a ponta ao longo da tampa da válvula e ver se o ruído é fácil de localizar.

thanks for the answer, do you have any video or photo showing this piece? Because I don't know

The PVC will not make that noise.

The Purge Solenoid... I'm not sure about. To check that, I think you could pull the connector off it and see if the noise stops...worst that will happen is you'll get a CEL for the connector being off. 

Do you know how to reset the CEL ? Just pull the negative battery cable for 15 minutes. After re-attaching it, turn the key to "on" for 10 seconds before starting the engine.

I'm second guessing my thought about "valve clearance issues" as the noise sounds a bit heavier than that light tapping.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

3 horas atrás, Max Capacity disse:

O PVC não fará esse barulho.

O solenóide de purga... não tenho certeza. Para verificar isso, acho que você poderia puxar o conector dele e ver se o ruído para... o pior que pode acontecer é você obter um CEL para o conector estar desligado. 

Você sabe como resetar um CEL? Basta puxar o cabo negativo da bateria por 15 minutos. Depois de recolocá-lo, gire a chave para "on" por 10 segundos antes de ligar o motor.

Estou duvidando do meu pensamento sobre "problemas de folga da válvula", pois o ruído soa um pouco mais pesado do que aquele leve toque.

obrigado. Vou fazer esse teste, mas meu carro tem chave de face, nesse caso, para zerar a CEL, devo ligar o painel e depois ligar o carro depois de 15s?

Outra dúvida, o que é CEL?

I can't say about the valve clearance, because the noise only happens when you turn on the air conditioning compressor, leaving the engine heavier.

Edited by patrickcortes10

Oh, "only happens when the AC is on", that's better to hear. That means it's external. 

In this thread, on March 17th, you'll find Subarcharged, PM him. He's really good with these cars.

5 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Oh, "só acontece quando o AC está ligado", é melhor ouvir. Isso significa que é externo. 

Neste tópico, em 17 de março, você encontrará Subarcharged, envie uma mensagem privada para ele. Ele é muito bom com esses carros.

Thanks. I'm going to contact him, but I was sent the following alternative: "When the purge solenoid starts to go bad, it clicks really loudly. The computer doesn't trigger the purge solenoid all the time, it just triggers it at the times it wants to maintain atmospheric pressure in the fuel tank. When you turn on the AC compressor, the fuel load increases which changes the pressure in the tank and the computer turns on the solenoid valve to pull the vacuum in the tank and when the pressure drops to the atmosphere, it turns off the solenoid, that's why the clicking noise is there, goes away and then comes back.

The only thing in the area you're pointing to in the video is that purge solenoid."

however I still haven't been able to see this solenoid, because I'm not finding it in the engine.

Yes, the purge solenoid does make sense then. 

The purge valve is right there on the front of the intake manifold. it has the short line going to that round filter looking thing with the worn off foam on it. Here's a close up of it in the upper right corner of the picture.  Either one or the one to the left with the light blue connector. 

When you receive the new one, it will be obvious. 

DSCN9772.JPG

49 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Yes, the purge solenoid does make sense then. 

The purge valve is right there on the front of the intake manifold. it has the short line going to that round filter looking thing with the worn off foam on it. Here's a close up of it in the upper right corner of the picture.  Either one or the one to the left with the light blue connector. 

When you receive the new one, it will be obvious. 

DSCN9772.JPG

Oh my god, my guy, no. no. NO.  In the video, the sensor that is connected to the round filter on the side facing the front of the vehicle is the MAP sensor.  the purge solenoid is UNDER the manifold hiding under the 3 and 5 runners.

If you had joined in on the other thread where I posted the intake manifold diagram you would know this.  I hate to sound like an ass, but jesus christ.

I will hold your hand, here you go!

This is the map sensor location on the EZ.

mapsensor.PNG.7dc382dc8ffc7b9265eaeb17238884e8.PNG

Here you can see the backside of the solenoid.

solenoidbolt.PNG.643d708bc17ca6f20c137200266f3197.PNG

Here is a picture of the location of the solenoid, it is underneath the manifold.

solenoidlocation.PNG.0ee1dd08ce0cbdcbf708d9141564f8f0.PNG

I hope this helps.

Edited by silverton

No inconvenience from you friend, just trying to steer you towards the correct repair! I hope you get the car sorted out quickly and accurately.  After owning/driving my six cylinder I don't know why subaru put anything else in their cars.

silverton, thanks for posting the pictures. Earlier this morning, I figured out what which item in my picture was which.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverton said:

Nenhum inconveniente de seu amigo, apenas tentando orientá-lo para o reparo correto! Espero que você resolva o carro com rapidez e precisão. depois de possuir / dirigir meu seis cilindros, não sei por que a subaru colocou qualquer outra coisa em seus carros.

I agree. Wonderful car, and sensational engine.

• Like 1