LegacyGT.com

It's happening again.. Slight stumble that leads to misfire... Usual culprit cyl 6 coil....

I noticed yesterday a slight stumble upon acceleration with the RPM's just under 20,000 RpM = around 65-70MPH...   And while I had it on cruise control, I could feel the hesitation and actually see the needle fluttering around the 16,000 RpM point..  Every time this has happend in the past, it has led to a misfire with flashing check engine coil packs being replaced..  The first 2 times it threw codes..   I'm not remembering right now what they were, but it was coil specific...   First time it happend they only replaced 1 coil, #6 I believe..   The second time it happend they pushed it off on me saying I needed a tune up..   Even with gold plus, I paid for spark plugs and labor they covered the coils, all 6.  Third time was right after passenger ball joint was replaced..  With no check engine light or codes, car had a horrible misfire and to fix, they replaced spark plugs and all 6 coils at no cost..  - Funny bit was, they actually said it was either a known bad batch of coils or that they just didn't look right.    So, this being the 4th time, I'm trying my best to be proactive.  Also now that i'm at 113k no more warranty fun time.  I'm thinking about either swapping coils out with #6   or just replacing it and going from there..  Any thoughts?    - I plan on seeing if there are any current codes tomorrow..    Any insight is appreciated, thanks much.

Find a good local repair shop and stop wasting money with the Dealership. Look for a shop that appears to have been around for many years. In my area, they are easy to find.

I hope they have made sure the connectors contacts are clean and not corroded and pushed on well and tight.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

I hope they have made sure the connectors contacts are clean and not corroded and ... tight.

According to the FSM, all six ignition coils share a common ground connection to the engine block. Be sure that ground point is clean, corrosion free, and tight.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You can usually find the engine grounds on the rear top side of the block. Sometimes the starter bolt holds one.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:04 AM, Max Capacity said:

Find a good local repair shop and stop wasting money with the Dealership.

It's not a waste of time if the dealership has tried to fix the car multiple times and the same problem keeps appearing.  You can even escalate this all the way up to Subaru HQ.

Edited by silverton

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here