LegacyGT.com

1996 GTB keyless entry system no range

Hi there! 

I am running into a problem with my 1996 JDM GTB wagon. The car was equipped with keyless entry system from factory, but the range is non-existence as I have to almost stick the key inside the window to get it to work 1 out of 5 times. I searched the forum and on the internet but was unable to get an answer for it. Is there an antenna unit separate from the control box? Anybody fixed a similar issue before? So far I have changed the battery in the key as well as unplugged, cleaned, re-plugged in the control unit but the problem persists. 

Thanks in advance!

The only keyless I messed around with was in my 1995 pathfinder, and that one did have a single wire antenna that had to be routed a certain way to avoid interference.  I opted for an aftermarket alarm in my 2001 for better security and functionality.

• Thanks 1

I'd say you'll have to get a copy of the factory service manual from around here and check the wiring diagrams for a single wire antenna and then verify its integrity and maybe try some routing.

Only slightly related, I put an aftermarket head unit in my 300 and the WiFi single wire antenna for it has to be in there just right or I can't connect to the house from right in front of the house.

• Thanks 1