LegacyGT.com

I've been looking at SH Foresters to use as a winter car/weekend getaway/overlanding vehicle.

I posted about a different issue with a Foz that I found on CL, but a fair difference away, and I was warned about excessive oil consumption on the FB engines.

I'm wondering if it's really bad, or if it's any worse than my EJ?

Also, are there any other concerns over the FB engine that I should be aware of?

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

check the motor for a reman badge, those shouldn't have consumption issues, but still can.  11-13 foresters are by far the worst for the consumption issues.  EJ's don't generally consume internally, they'll let you know on the bottom when it's time to do head gaskets. If you're dead set on an SH, I'd stick with a '10

I’m happy with my 14 FB25 and it’s got almost 169k miles. It’s chain driven, so no timing belt like an EJ25.

Mine uses a little oil, about a quart every 5k mile interval. I use 5w30 synth though and blackstone had nooo problem with it. Oil consumption is an issue with them, but my opinion is it’s largely based around the 0w20 being too thin.

I have a good friend who’s SH FB25 crapped out two months ago bc it ate oil, he didn’t catch it and he hammers miles.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a recall and Class Action from the original FB's that began with the Foz.   Hence, the warning.  Yes, it was THAT BAD.  I had customers cars eating through 1qt per 500 miles.  I was stuck in the middle as an independent (not a dealership).  I performed a lot of diagnosis and spent hours on the phone with the local dealerships and SOA.  Had to send all the customers back to the dealers for warranty replacements.  Those engines should be gone, but you never know.  There should be a way to check vins. 

There's all sorts of cars out there that never made it back to the dealer once purchased.  I would NEED to see the reman plate on the block before even contemplating purchasing an 11-13 forester.

a non oil consuming FB is better than the EJ in near every way from an appliance standpoint. better economy and far easier oil changes.  no ring of fire!

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a 13 CVT legacy with the FB25. She is an oil eater lol. It does need a short block and subaru wanted to only pay half. My shop that built my LGT said check the oil every other week and change it every so often. They have bad short block but that chain motor and cvt run very well. I plan on having the short block redone and keeping it.