LegacyGT.com

Transmission slipping (2.5 NA - NOT TURBO)

Hey everyone.

I've had a rare, though recurring transmission slippage issue.

When driving at a constant 125-130 km/h (75-80 MPH) for a long distance, the transmission will start slipping after some time. Slip is very noticeable and lasts for half a second at most, but will continue unless I lower my speed for a while.

The engine RPM is stable, no water or issue of any kind that might cause the symptoms.

I tried reproducing the issue with and without cruise control - same behavior occurs.

The car (and transmission) is still under warranty, but I wanted to ask anyone else out there if you had the same issue.

Only occurs when driving continuously at these higher speeds (may be a tad fast for Canada, but it's the regular speed limit for many US states, as I understand it...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, plm42 said:

Hey everyone.

I've had a rare, though recurring transmission slippage issue.

When driving at a constant 125-130 km/h (75-80 MPH) for a long distance, the transmission will start slipping after some time. Slip is very noticeable and lasts for half a second at most, but will continue unless I lower my speed for a while.

The engine RPM is stable, no water or issue of any kind that might cause the symptoms.

I tried reproducing the issue with and without cruise control - same behavior occurs.

The car (and transmission) is still under warranty, but I wanted to ask anyone else out there if you had the same issue.

Only occurs when driving continuously at these higher speeds (may be a tad fast for Canada, but it's the regular speed limit for many US states, as I understand it...)

You're not the only one. The TR580 doesn't seem to have as many issues as the TR690, but the power and overall load the CVT has to handle is much less. Likely a pressure issue causing the chain slippage. Dealers are required to follow TSB 16-132-20R when diagnosing. I'm pretty sure your CVT also had its warranty extended to 100k miles. 

16-132-20R_071122-FORM.pdf

• 1 month later...

I've had a similar issue with my 22 Touring XT but I thought it was a misfire. I'll be doing around 40-45mph, at cruising speed, giving it just enough throttle to keep speed, maybe a little less. and randomly it feels like powered is cut for less then a second, and it'll happen for a few quick chugs and then back to normal. for the first 5k miles it was only after a cold start but now it's after its warmed up and been driven for a bit. 

Edited by blusubado