LegacyGT.com

Exhaust issues need some advice

Wicat3

Hey everyone.  I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy with the 2.5I.  I had the exhaust replaced from the cat back less than a year ago.  I had noticed a month or two ago that the car was getting louder sounding.  I took the car into the shop for an inspection and asked for them to look at it.  I was told it was an exhaust gasket.  I figured ok its basically brand new a gasket going bad no big deal.  I waited to get the repair done and found time to take it into the shop today.  The exhaust guy at the shop told my wife that the catalytic converter is bad, and it would be $1500 for the converter and would be about $2000 for everything.  I thought this seemed odd.  When I went to pick the car up the guy told me that the flange was almost gone and stuck in the catalytic converter so there wasn't much, he could do about it. 

So, I think the cost of $1500 is a bit high for a catalytic converter for the car.  Last year when I was looking at things, I ran across some for about $800-900.  Maybe I'm wrong but like I said it seems high to me.  I also don't feel like I'm being told the truth.  I plan to lift the car and inspect it.  I live in NY so I know it has to be a specific cat but can anyone help me point me in the right direction on what I could be looking at for parts and what could be changed at worst case scenario if I do it myself. 

• 1 month later...

Better late than never. You probably already dealt with this?

Unfortunately, $1500 does sound about right for a factory cat. I just sold my old one from the GT (2 cats in the downpipe) for $700.....

Might do better going to a 'custom' exhaust shop and have them either cut away the rotten stuff off the cat you have and try harder to put a new flange on it, or weld in a high-flow performance cat. They still do a good job of cleaning up NOx, but they're smaller and usually meanigfully less expensive than OE replacement cats.

Your neighbourhood exhaust shop probably doesn't want to do anything more involved than replacing factory pipes with pre-bent replacments or basic cut and weld type work.