LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad Sticking

New to the forum, looking for some help.

2013 Legacy, ~80k miles.  Rear, outer brake pad is sticking.  New pads and rotor twice in last 6 months.  Pulled pad and rotor, cleaned/lubed everything, all looked good.   About 1500 miles later I have metal grinding.  Outer pad stuck again.  Inner pad and left side are fine.  Replaced pads and rotor, everything looks good, took it to shop (Tire discounter) to have a look.  They pulled everything, said mechanically everything is fine, clean, lubed, working like it's supposed to, though they noticed hot spots on right rear outside, and left rear, but pads only had about 4 miles on them.  I didn't do break-in, I took it straight to shop.  They said it might be ABS module and take it to Subaru.

Any ideas on what could cause it?  Could it be ABS module?  Can brake hose cause issues?

Thanks

haven't really heard of any ABS issues...could be a caliper on its way out, could be brake lines going bad...will have to get in there and diagnose.  look for an indy subaru shop if you wanna save some money

Thanks, creep.  I haven't opened it up yet, but may have to pull/rebuild caliper.  Shooting in the dark at this point.  New to my area (Huntsville, Al) so haven't gotten into where to go/where not to go yet.  I'll start asking around.

usually, radically uneven pad wear (particularly the outside pad) is due to either the pad getting hung up in the bracket, or the slide pins binding - when you replaced the pads, did you replace the hardware in the bracket as well?  was there any rust on the bracket under the hardware?  you want to clean the area under the hardware down to bare metal, then install the new hardware and pads - make sure they slide easily through the full range of motion.  For the slide pins, pull them and clean out the hole as well as the pins, then relubricate with a silicone brake lube (don't go crazy) then reinstall them in the bracket and make sure you can slide the pins all the way in and out freely. (you may have already done all that - that's just the approach I take) - I am not sure how the abs module would abnormally wear one of the two pads...  are the brakes dragging?