LegacyGT.com

throttle calibration

No. That's a CVT thing. Is it your tire chirping or the CVT? My CVT makes a little chirp, but my tires don't actually move and slip on the pavement when I put it into Drive. My wife's Ascent does the same thing so we are pretty used to it.

'21 Limited XT

Subaru Ambassador since 2015

My Legacy XT does it as well, when I go from reverse to drive. My wife’s Onyx XT OB sounds even louder when she shifts into gear. Really pressing on the brake pedal and holding it for a second when shifting to drive seems to mitigate it a bit but it does seem like a normal CVT thing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

so I tried the throttle recalibration twice and haven't felt any change what so ever. is it suppose to make any drastic improvement like I was thinking? would it be better to just get the peddle commander? has anyone even tried a peddle commander on their Legacy XT? 

https://pedalcommander.com/products/subaru-legacy

There was a dramatic change in my throttle response using the recalibration both times I've had to do it. Maybe yours was already calibrated correctly? I will say though, the first time I tried to do it, I goofed it up and there was no noticeable difference in the throttle. I decided to try it again and got it right the second time. Very noticeable that time. Then I had to disconnect the battery and it went back to the original, somewhat muted-feeling throttle. I knew what to do to fix it and the recalibration worked like a charm that time too. I've read good things about the pedal commander on the Outback forum, but I don't know if anyone has tried a side-by-side comparison of recalibration vs. PC.

'21 Limited XT

• 2 months later...

Hello all.  New member as of an hour ago.  Looks like a great forum.

I was glad to find the thread on throttle calibration.  I am happy with my 2022 Legacy XT, except for the CVT performance from a dead stop.  It seems to want to languish below 2K RPM unless you get on it.  The extreme non-linear performance is frustrating, especially when there is plenty of power from a rolling start or at speed.

I was wondering if the throttle calibration procedure is a fix for that before I try it.

2 minutes ago, Sum Gye said:

Hello all.  New member as of an hour ago.  Looks like a great forum.

I was glad to find the thread on throttle calibration.  I am happy with my 2022 Legacy XT, except for the CVT performance from a dead stop.  It seems to want to languish below 2K RPM unless you get on it.  The extreme non-linear performance is frustrating, especially when there is plenty of power from a rolling start or at speed.

I was wondering if the throttle calibration procedure is a fix for that before I try it.

It won’t hurt and only takes about 10 minutes. I’ve done it once or twice on my 2020XT but I can’t say if it really has improved things or not. But the placebo effect usually makes it seem better. Regarding the CVT if you slam down the pedal from a stop you won’t go anywhere regardless of device or procedure you use. You’ll gradually learn a technique in using the accelerator. I have and I came from a 2006 Legacy GT turbo 5 speed. They perform very differently but I’ve been quite satisfied with my XT, but I did have to develop my technique. To be honest I’ve never been enamored of any automatic transmissions, always felt they were added complications that are just prone to repair issues. But so far this Legacy has really been nice and I have no complaints. 

I have tried it, felt a little difference but it doesn't resolve the dead zone from stop then it really kicks in when you accelerate. I believe it needs some reprogram to the shift points especially at the start of accelerating.

I even tried to disconnect the battery to reset and tried the re-cal. Same results.

Everyone's results are different I guess. For me, the recalibration did resolve the "dead zone" from stop. Later, I had my battery replaced and couldn't understand why the car felt so sluggish when starting off. I realized I probably had to do the recalibration again, and when I did, it resolved the sluggishness a second time. YMMV.

'21 Limited XT

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oxygene said:

I tried this, but didn't notice too much of a difference. Maybe the car is too new for me to tell.

I could never tell for certain whether it changed anything. I first read about it on another forum a couple years ago and have done it about 3 times on my 2020 Legacy XT. Doesn’t hurt anything and sometimes the placebo effect makes you think it’s much better. 

I’ve seen that the 2023 Legacy Sport models have the Si drive feature and wonder if that does what the calibration procedure theoretically can do. 

On 1/31/2023 at 10:40 AM, LBSypher said:

Everyone's results are different I guess. For me, the recalibration did resolve the "dead zone" from stop. Later, I had my battery replaced and couldn't understand why the car felt so sluggish when starting off. I realized I probably had to do the recalibration again, and when I did, it resolved the sluggishness a second time. YMMV.

Same with mine, performing the calibration made it feel like you're directly connected to the throttle plate.