LegacyGT.com

TPMS sensors - when do they die?

So getting close to buying a new set of tires and was contemplating what to do about the tpms sensors.  Car is 11 years old, so I am wondering if the batteries are getting close to dead (only 80k miles, though, so maybe not?)  I suppose I could just wait until the system acts up, then replace all 4...  So how long have folks had theirs go before dying, or is everyone still running their originals?

They last about 10 years.  If you are replacing your tires, I would replace them.  My 2009 Outback had at least 2 TPMS sensor that stopped working on cold days the winter of 2019. The sensors work again in spring 2020 and then stopped working all together in the fall of 2020.  At least of the 2 sensor were dead on the 2010 GT that I am repairing.  I bought OEM sensors on ebay for $85 for 4.  I am not sure if they were knock offs but they looked oem and came in Subaru bags.  For my 2012 GT, I bought OEM from the online dealer for $50/per sensor.  I got lazy on my 2009 Outback and just bought them from the tire installer, they charged me $80/sensor for aftermarkets.

Edited by dgoodhue

11 hours ago, FLlegacy said:

On my 2010 one sensor made it 8 years, I replaced them all when I got new tires last year. On our 07 tribeca they are still oem sensors going strong so far.

I think Subaru used a different model TPMS for the early vehicles with TPMS like your 2007 Tribeca.

• 3 months later...

Wow, we must all be on the same timeline!

My TPMS light went off here in the coldest days of the year.

Does anyone know what all the flashes mean? Are the number of flashes telling me anything, or just that it isn't seeing the sensors?