LegacyGT.com

White smoke on passenger side

2009 Subaru legacy 2.5i limited non turbo 

I noticed that white smoke(looks more like steam) started going out of my AC in the cabin. Once I pulled over, I opened a hood and figured out that smoke goes out of my engine on passenger side somewhere from behind of a timing belt. I can’t say how that smoke smells like, because it’s neither sweet nor burning oil.( it definitely smells like smth is burning but I can’t say what for sure)  I definitely know that my power-steering pump is leaking( I’m wondering if power steering fluid drops on the exhaust and evaporating but I’m not sure.) My mechanic said that my head gasket has an external leak(oil) not really significant and idk if it is the reason. My car is not overheating, there is no milk-shake in my oil, no whittle smoke from exhaust, also I don’t see bubbles in my coolant reserve tank. Car runs well no lack of power or smth. Did anyone have the same problem? 

I don't recall hearing a complaint like that here over the years, it's hard to say where it could be coming from.

External oil head gasket leak is very common, more of an annoyance than anything else.

Power steering pump leak, wonder if it's just the o-ring on top of the pump. Subaru part number 34439FG000, very easy to change. Not a bad idea to have a quart of subaru atf hp on hand since you'll probably lose some fluid changing it, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the old fluid anyway with the extra. Probably not the cause of the white smoke in my opinion, but not sure.

oring.thumb.jpg.7521e08ed59989d91e6cbae8641f9124.jpg

I wonder if your passenger side cv boot split, and has flung grease all over the cat converter below it. That's not very close to the timing belt though, that's kinda behind the engine on the passenger side.

1.jpg.1410b2642d1dd42e6e998771764c8af5.jpg

Edited by apexi
  • Thanks 1