LegacyGT.com

Mighty Car Mods is putting the guts of a 2018 STi into a Levorg

Watched this the other night. Just the intro video so lots of the usual smack talk, but it should be good.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a moderm Subaru wagon body available to swap things into? Aside from the debatable choice of names, the Levorg looks pretty good to me.... My OB is gonna have a 'too expensive to fix' problem eventually, and it would be nice to have another all wheel drive option than the Impreza.....

It was partly these guys and the Gramps project that convinced me I could modify cars on my own at home after watching them do more serious work than they did in their early videos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

If I could get a LHD Levorg, I would consider doing something like this as a successor for the 4th Gen.

I still like the 4th Gen better, but it would be a 15-18yr update.

I don’t at all mean to be pedantic, but would you really need a LHD Levorg, or given the modularity of the chassis, just a fairly complete LHD parts donor?

I suppose it’s all a bit of a moot arguement, since Levorgs aren’t sold in our market, so they’d be prohibited from import for 10 years or whatever? Or have those prohibitions become more lax over time. (Not that they ever made sense here in Canada anyway, but they still stand, I believe…)

Edited by KZJonny

I am curious how it works for them doing their registration, since they swapped the whole powertrain? They have done so many of these things with registration issues I was curious how this would work.

I am not sure in its current form this would keep up with supergramps as it has more power and basically the same drivetrain, I would imagine it is much more fun to drive with the updated chassis, though.

I am certain, since they swapped everything over including all the control modules, the biu isn't an issue, as far as it is concerned its still in the old body since it still sees all the old sensors and modules connected how they always were.

Hm. Supergramps is a 3.6L H6 turbo, so same transmission system, but a pretty different engine.

Still be very cool to see them go head to head, but really different powertrains in terms of power delivery and where they generate torque a boost, etc…

I don’t think it would really be apples to apples tho. No replacement for displacement!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For whatever reason this thread popped back into my head.

I think the answer would also be "yes" becuause of the Subaru global platform, but does anyone suppose this swap would also work about the same for a USDM Impreza wagon as the shell for the same kind of STi swap? (Or any other EJ-T you could find from a wrecked car....)

I would really like to have a modern WRX hatch, but of course, they're NLA, and I know I'll never be able to drive a sedan. However, finding a blown engine or damaged Impreza hatch and a twisted WRX or STi would make it possible.

Probably well outside my budget, and money better spent throwing a bigger turbo and fuel system in the GT, but still.... It would make for a nice daily winter beater. Shells would be plentiful and fairly cheap for a lot more years than 4th gen stuff.

Or... If anyone on here has a bugeye Rex that isn't a pile of rust, let me know.

• 1 month later...