LegacyGT.com

2005 GT Should I buy it?

Reliability is up in the air if previous owner doesn't have maintenance records. The stage 2 clutch has me raising an eyebrow. I'd assume it was upgraded to handle something more than a stock engine at some point but unless you have history, it's only a guess. Like @ehsnilssuggested i'd take it to get compression tested and fully inspected.

Reputable shops to bring your Subie (thread)

Agreed with getting a thorough pre-purchase inspection, specifically compression/leakdown test to get a better idea of engine health.

I may be biased, since my ‘05 had plenty of minor problems when I picked it up, but they were also all relatively easily solved. That was before I upgraded to “Stage 2”, and took care of all the other minor stuff.

Assuming an inspection yields good results:

- do you *like* troubleshooting and working on cars; buy it! That is some low mileage action and oil feeds are an easy repair.

- if you want a reliable, no nonsense daily (that will be quick…) maybe not the greatest choice?

My experience so far isn’t that these things are trailer queens, just a solid working knowledge of automotive in general is required. Aside from the odd boxer engine stuff (1.5hr plug swaps), they’re really not particularly challenging to work on.

• 4 weeks later...

The 2005 Legacy GT is a great car if you find one in good condition. It's hard to know if one is in good condition before you take a look. Still, there are websites where you can find Japanese cars like the ones you're looking for in good condition. When I look for jdm import cars, I usually look at the jdmbuysell website. I bought my Subaru there, and it was a great buy.
Mine is not the 2005 GT. It was the 2006 Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT. It was in great condition, and I was lucky to find one like that. We all know that Subaru is an awesome car and that it will last for a long time.

Edited by Liselelal

Buy it and keep it stock and it will be somewhat reliable lol, But if your like most that want some power out of it, My opinion is get a daily car. I am always a fan of a nice tuned car but have a daily that you know will start and run if you need to make a trip to Grandmas house.

Also if you cut corners you will pay the price.

• Like 1