LegacyGT.com

Non Chip Key '07 2.5i?

Is there a way of disabling the security chip function when starting a '07 2.5i wagon?

I used to have a '05 2.5i that came with a bare metal Subaru key that I really liked because it was so thin and didn't add pocket bulk.  I purchased the same type of blank from Subaru thinking that if the '05 didn't have a chip the '07 wouldn't either, but it looks like it does.

I can open the door and actually got the engine to start if I hold the chipped key on top of the other key but otherwise cant start the car, or more specifically it will start than turn off after a second.

Is there any way to disable the chip security system in order to use the bare metal key?  I am also interested in installing a remote start system in the future so this would need to be done for that as well.

Thanks for any thoughts

I don't believe you can disable the Immobilizer, I know many people though glue on the black chip that is in the chipped key somewhere near the key so it can read it. Then any key will be able to start it as the chip will always be in the vehicle.