LegacyGT.com

BM (5th gen) engine in BL

• 1 month later...

Hey dude, sorry this one didn’t get any attention.

I that’s likely because it has been discussed somewhere else on the forum.

If memory serves, it didn't make a lot of sense to most because of the costs involved. There is a lot different in the 5th gens, and you’d likely have to install a standalone ecm, which is costly. Unless you happened across a free/cheap 5th gen engine and thought it was worth a try. I think the consensus was that EJs and 4th gens are common enough you could find a useable/rebuildable engine with the correct sensors etc… for much less than convering the 5th gen. The case is the similar between early and late 4th gens with the switch to can bus.

We’d all learn something if you did it, and documented the process.

I would think that you could at least swap in the EJ255 shortblock no problem, but not a whole lot else without doing a complete engine/intake/ecm, etc….

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses.  I just got an 07 sedan this summer and it now it has rod bearing noise.  Pulled the oil pan, metal in the pan and play in the rods.  Decided to go with an EJ20Y motor and 6spd transmission.  There seems to be some disagreement on the feasibility of this swap, but looks like there have been enough successful swaps. 

Awesome. Out of curiosity, will you be using a 6spd from a Spec B/Sti or doing the wrx/5th gen GT 6 speed swap?

Who wouldn’t love the big 6 speed? I’d like to do the swap too, but at like 1/3 the cost to do the wrx style 6 speed, I think that’s the direction ima take.

17 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Awesome. Out of curiosity, will you be using a 6spd from a Spec B/Sti or doing the wrx/5th gen GT 6 speed swap?

Who wouldn’t love the big 6 speed? I’d like to do the swap too, but at like 1/3 the cost to do the wrx style 6 speed, I think that’s the direction ima take.

Is there actually any benefit to using a va wrx 6 speed other than cost? They use the same style clutch and there are kits being made to convert it to mechanical linkages. Other places say that it's just as fragile as the 5 speed but I haven't heard of any of the built fa20 guys complaining about blowing transmissions yet. 

Not so much aside from price and availability. I didn’t know that they were being adapted for mechanical shifters, which is encouraging, as I’d like to retain that.

You do not need to find a new rear diff, support and matching axles, which is a bonus as well. ($$$)

As you note, there are lots of un-exploded 5 and 6 speed transmissions running around out there. Supposedly the transmission was redesigned with the EE20 diesel in mind, so it should hold a fair lot of torque.

I suspect that if you’re not constantly doing clutch dumps, it should hold up a good long while. And if you want some extra assurance, the cost of the va 6speed + some Moore blast plates is still a lot less than an sti 6 speed these days.

They weigh less as well, which I suppose is a bonus if you’re counting kilograms….

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Not so much aside from price and availability. I didn’t know that they were being adapted for mechanical shifters, which is encouraging, as I’d like to retain that.

You do not need to find a new rear diff, support and matching axles, which is a bonus as well. ($$$)

As you note, there are lots of un-exploded 5 and 6 speed transmissions running around out there. Supposedly the transmission was redesigned with the EE20 diesel in mind, so it should hold a fair lot of torque.

I suspect that if you’re not constantly doing clutch dumps, it should hold up a good long while. And if you want some extra assurance, the cost of the va 6speed + some Moore blast plates is still a lot less than an sti 6 speed these days.

They weigh less as well, which I suppose is a bonus if you’re counting kilograms….

Yeah I got blasted on facebook groups for suggesting that the va wrx swap is would be a cost effective. I guess since its split case and it doesn't come off an sti it's instantly junk. 

I can't remember the company but it was a tiktok of the R&D of this kit. So i hope it goes through. It was mainly for the 2022 VB wrx tho but i couldn't imagine it would be hard to put on other cable driven transmissions 

Edited by JohnDeere714

I can't really take any credit for the info, just passing it along. Scottydunno and Infosecdad did the heavy lifting actually installing them into 4th Gens. I just *want* to, so I read up on it.

Lots of information here.

It does seem like more of the worlds trolls can now be found on facebook than forums, which is a good thing. It takes a little time to search through archives and find cool information locked away on placed like this.  Easy to just immediately spew hate at the last post that popped up on your feed. (No bias here at all, I didn't abandon FB years ago, really, Hah!)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

I can't really take any credit for the info, just passing it along. Scottydunno and Infosecdad did the heavy lifting actually installing them into 4th Gens. I just *want* to, so I read up on it.

Lots of information here.

It does seem like more of the worlds trolls can now be found on facebook than forums, which is a good thing. It takes a little time to search through archives and find cool information locked away on placed like this.  Easy to just immediately spew hate at the last post that popped up on your feed. (No bias here at all, I didn't abandon FB years ago, really, Hah!)

Damn i was hoping that you didn't hace to drill additional holes into my chassis 

8 hours ago, JohnDeere714 said:

Damn i was hoping that you didn't hace to drill additional holes into my chassis 

The holes you drill won't be visible at all, nor would it effect/affect the car in any manner. AFAIK, this is an update from our 4th gen LGT/08-14 WRX transmission. I've also heard next to nill about VA guys making decent power and losing a transmission. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Scottydunno said:

The holes you drill won't be visible at all, nor would it effect/affect the car in any manner. AFAIK, this is an update from our 4th gen LGT/08-14 WRX transmission. I've also heard next to nill about VA guys making decent power and losing a transmission. 

Good deal. It's just my ocd talking and the fear of messing up 

• Like 2

The WRX 6MT is JUNK.  If you post on any site with knowledgeable patrons you should get blasted.  If you have not heard of anyone blowing them up, you have not spoken to anyone making power with one.  STi/SpecB 6MT or keep the 5MT.  I have nothing good to say about the transmission.  Cable shifting left over from the Euro trash diesel.  Gear changes so vague your not sure if your in gear or not. 

On a side note, I have seen far too many 5MT's with Moore blast plates grenade to recommend the product.  Its a poor band aid.

To answer the engine swap question.  Yes, it can be done.  No, it is not cost effective.  It is  a money pit job.  It would be a labor of love with no real potential gain. 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:58 AM, m sprank said:

The WRX 6MT is JUNK.  If you post on any site with knowledgeable patrons you should get blasted.  If you have not heard of anyone blowing them up, you have not spoken to anyone making power with one.  STi/SpecB 6MT or keep the 5MT.  I have nothing good to say about the transmission.  Cable shifting left over from the Euro trash diesel.  Gear changes so vague your not sure if your in gear or not. 

On a side note, I have seen far too many 5MT's with Moore blast plates grenade to recommend the product.  Its a poor band aid.

To answer the engine swap question.  Yes, it can be done.  No, it is not cost effective.  It is  a money pit job.  It would be a labor of love with no real potential gain. 

That 6mt is just as good as the current 5mt in the car. They handle the same power, and from what I've read, fail the same too! The absolute advantage is that 6th gear for better hwy cruising. That vagueness you talk about, I have none of those issues. I know exactly which gear I'm in and which one I'm heading to next. Yes, it doesn't feel like a Springfield, but it definitely guides you to the next gear. 

Glad it works for you.  We had far more failures from "wrx" 6mts than 5mts. I could never get over the vague shifts.  When skipping a gear I routinely missed the intended gear.  Never felt a cable shifter that was as precise as a direct linkage. Honda probably made the best cable shifter but I was never a "Honda" car guy.

Turbos and mpg never went hand in hand for me.  I accepted that I must pay to play.