LegacyGT.com

Undercoating

Has anyone undercoated the bottom of their car? Like a Ziebart lining or truck bed lining? Just curious. Getting ready to do brakes soon and was thinking if my rear lines weren't too bad, getting some truck bed liner to help protect them. Thankfully my car has seen very few salty road winters and was garaged most of its life so it's still in good shape, but would like to do some preservative maintenance on it while i'm underneath it.

I'd steer clear of those types of undercoating, they can trap moisture underneath and cause big problems. I'd look into something like fluid film or woolwax. I'm also intrigued by some of the other products like crc corrosion inhibitor that are more resistant to wash off, but their more permanent nature also scares me a bit.

Couple test vids link 1 link 2, and there are more tests out there by places like project farm.

I undercoated the front and rear subframe and suspension components of my new rav4 with fluid film last month, and I'm kinda disappointed. It washes off easier than I expected in some spots after driving in a little bit of rain, like the fronts of the lower control arms. So I'm going to hit those spots with woolwax aerosol since I hear it's a little more durable, but can still be washed away.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Febreeze me and Apexi. I’ve looked into the raptor liner for the S10, seems like good stuff. Good point about trapping moisture, didn’t think of that. I wash the car pretty religiously during the winter just to keep the crap off, I may just do the fluid film. Co-worker used it on his s10 with good results. From the way it sounds like you apply it, it probably would last too long but it’d be better than nothing.

I used crc corrosion inhibitor before and will use it again. It works well when used annually. I like that it creates a dried film that will not be easily washed off and even withstands some light sandblasting. Used it like that on the inner length of rocker panels, and all exposed suspension components.

I put it on dry clean surface. Really started using mask and protective glasses as spray droplets go damn everywhere and you don't want to breath that in.

On wheel wells I used some stuff from 3M that goes on as black foamy liquid and dries thick. I believe it is the same or very close as OEM stuff. This one protects from sandblasting the OEM protection and paint to bare metal. I use it mostly in front of the car and underbody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

So I used raptor liner to undercoat my car...I have my regrets. Because it is not a rubberized undercoat, I am not super worried. Also my car was pretty mint underneath plus my car doesn't get driven in the winter anymore. I did also seal seams with 3m window weld to prevent moisture working its way in. 

My recommendation is this.

If your car is already rusty: fluid film or alike

if your car is not rusty: CRC Marine heavy duty corrosion inhibitor on exterior parts + seams. Fluid film all cavities

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I used fluid film and was pretty damn happy. I feel like it set into old rust and really kept any corrosion from spreading. I used three full spray cans underneath my car and a bit in the engine compartment. Their one kit comes with different wands for getting inside the frame rails too. I don’t drive my car in the elements though so it’s lasted quite awhile, two years, but it’s about all washed away now.

Underneath the doors and inside the rear arch panels I use SEM Rust Preventer spray. It’s also a thick almost foamy dark fluid and it’s semi-permanent. It was recommended to me by two auto body pros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love SEM stuff l, have restored several parts and painted some interior panels with it.didn’t know they made a eBay preventer, that’s good to know! Thankfully my undercarriage is pretty mint but I’d like to keep it that way. I’ll probably use the SEM for the upper part and do the undercarriage with fluidfilm. Unfortunately as my daily it will see a little bit of stuff…also why I wash it a ton in the winter…