LegacyGT.com

There goes my door handle

8 hours ago, jaylew said:

No need to remove the fender. Remove the hinge from the door (i think) and leave the hinges on the body. I believe that is how i did it, but there is no need to remove the fender. Also a friend the hold the door while you fish the wire harness and thread in the bolts by hand is ideal.

What did you do about the lock cylinder, do you have to swap that over?  I have no idea how this key system works. Did you keep the cylinder that was in the door or swap it over? CAuse I am having a hell of time trying to get it out cause the window is up, no power, and the glass is blocking the bolt for the cylinder. Looks like its easier to get out with the window down for the cylinder lock bolt, and up for the other bolt on the other side for the outside door handle. 

Yeah i swapped over the lock cylinder since it is key'd for your key. It is easier if you remove the handle (i think...again I did this like 3 years ago so its a little fuzzy). None of it is easy, especially given the plastic handle retaining tabs like to break.

Like Max said, if you need to move the window, which you do, just hot wire it. Strait from the battery or if you have a 12volt power source (wall adapter, power drill battery etc) Use the vacation pics to find the correct 2 wires that go to the window motor. switch polarity to change direction.

Door work, you're almost guaranteed to cut your hand and get the black butyl rubber on your arms from vapor barrier. All part of the fun!

• Like 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I got the door on myself. I unbolted it from the door like you suggested. The glue breaks with just a little bit of force. I used a storage container that was about the height of the bottom of the door to the ground, then added some blankets and stuff to cushion it and I was able to handle it by myself... SO the door is on, I rewire all my stereo stuff, pull it through that damn rubber tubing the goes between the door and the body, drill in my speakers, wired all that.... just to find out that the damn connector for the mirror isn't going to work with the wiring harness that came with the used door. My original harness has 8 pin connector or something, while this other one only has like 5, so I can't really just forgo the connector and splice cause now I have extra wires. NOW I gotta pull out the all the wires and swap the door harness... FML. This black shit is getting on my nerves... it doesn't come off. 

I still gotta change the cylinder as well, but at least I can open the door now with the handle. 

And done for now lol. I got the cylinder in fairly easily, if the window is down, its just one bolt, pull it out, swap and put the bolt back in, took me like 1 minute to complete, and you don't have to pull the handle or that bracket to the handle on the inside. 

So after connecting everything and changing the harness, everything works. I kept hearing something when closing the door, then realized I forgot to attach that connecting rod back the cylinder, so I gotta go back in and attach that. And for the rear bumper I forgot the foam piece that goes over the bar, so I gotta pull that again..... all this is for another day, I'm done for a bit lol. For now I am contempt with the results! 

Actually that rattling from the arm was annoying , and it only takes 3 screws to get to it, so I just knocked it out, took less than 5 minutes. I'll leave the bumper for another day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Glad to hear you got one more thing off your list... ;) 

So I was like , lets just get this done, and I pulled the bumper again and then I realized that something wasn't quite right, and ultimately I am missing the two side brackets. The 05-07 side brackets, bumper and taillights are different, so in order to do a proper conversion from late to new bumper style, you need the taillights, bumper cover and the brackets below the taillights, everything else is interchangeable.

I gotta call the junkyard tomorrow to see if they can mail them to me, duno how that's gonna go, cause it should be part of the bumper assembly, but being that they are like an hour+ away and like 25-30 dollars worth of tolls, plus the gas for like 150 miles of travel.... basically I'm not driving back out there. Hopefully the company does proper business and will mail them to me, worst case I will eat or take on half the shipping costs up to like 15-20 bucks.

I shoulda known wtf was part of the assembly beforehand, I was standing right there next to the junked car so honestly it is some negligence on my part.  But in my defense I'm not a walking parts diagram and expected them to give me what I needed, especially for 225 bucks. So we will see what they say in the morning. They seemed honest enough.

The bumper can work without the brackets, its not detrimental or anything, it just allows the gaps to line up better between the lights and trunk lid, so I can live with it for the time being. The 1st time I installed it something seemed out of wack, but I couldn't put my thumb on it, and figured I just need to redo it to get it to work properly. Then I saw how the older side brackets didn't touch the new bumper at all or have any kind of interaction with it, I figured thats the issue and started looking at subaru parts to see whats different. Thats when I realized ohhh I needed the side brackets as well.