LegacyGT.com

What motor do I have?

Hey folks. My son ran my ran my 2005 Legecy 2.5 GT DOHC Turbo wagon hot last week till it stopped running. 🤬 . It's at minimum popped the head gasket since water came out when I took the first plug out out and had more water in the oil pan then it had oil. 🤦‍♂️ So I'm contemplating on rebuilding what I have or bite the bullet and get a new long block.

My question is what type engine I have? The block has EJ25 stamped on it. I see folks talking about EJ253 and EJ255 and EJ257.  So I'm a little confused on what I need to be looking for for parts or new long block. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

The Legacy GT uses an EJ255 with B25 heads, if you need a new set of those for an entire long block. Head rebuilders are usually busy as all heck these days, so start scheduling/searching for one now if that's what you plan to do. If your car is stock then the factory heads are pretty robust with OEM Subaru MLS head gaskets. If you have more power than factory then it can't hurt to use ARP head studs with those factory head gaskets and some GSC valvetrain components. Those GSC parts help the car breathe better in boost and the AVCS comes on pretty hard.

Sorry about the loss of your engine though. I wouldn't be too hard on the kid. He likely didn't know any better and it's hard to say why the car even overheated in the first place.

A 253 is an NA engine, 255/257 are turbos.

If you get a 2005 short block it's a 255, if you get a new short block, you actually need a 257 to keep the compression ratio correct.

It's in a sticky thread, but the 2005 "255" is actually a 257 from an STi. 

Later 255 blocks have different pistons that change the compression ratio if you reuse the 2005 heads.

1 hour ago, Infosecdad said:

A 253 is an NA engine, 255/257 are turbos.

If you get a 2005 short block it's a 255, if you get a new short block, you actually need a 257 to keep the compression ratio correct.

It's in a sticky thread, but the 2005 "255" is actually a 257 from an STi. 

Later 255 blocks have different pistons that change the compression ratio if you reuse the 2005 heads.

I'm assuming Subaru did this because it makes perfect sense... right???

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pleides said:

I'm assuming Subaru did this because it makes perfect sense... right???

It probably did to them at the time, they needed a new turbo engine for the '05 LGT, so they used what they had.

Subarus are great for interchangeability, except when they aren't in a small number of isolated cases. Like where they switched from a 4EAT Phase 1 to a 4EAT Phase 2 Auto tranny in the middle of the 1999 model year for Outbacks and they are NOT interchangeable. Physically the exact same dimensions on the outside, quite different electronics on the inside.

The click here link, in my sig, has some of the info you'll want to see. I have over 150,000 trouble free miles on my ej257.

Get the engine gasket set for your year car, take apart as little as possible.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys for the info. I assume the block is junk due to it being overheated and possibly needing to be bored?  With it being the semi closed deck design and the cylinders being thin already it's not worth the risk to try and bore it? 

24 minutes ago, Hairdog said:

Thanks guys for the info. I assume the block is junk due to it being overheated and possibly needing to be bored?  With it being the semi closed deck design and the cylinders being thin already it's not worth the risk to try and bore it? 

No gonna lie, it was just a matter of time before your 05 took a crap man. Not the kids fault at all. I bought my 06 puking oil and blowing smoke. I assume you took of the car and are very picky about it, I rebuilt mine from Max link, and never looked back. These cars are special bread, and people tend to give up on them. If it was a WRX people rebuilt and keep going. it's not cheap to rebuild, but if you go all stock rebuild it is very affordable.  

11 hours ago, Hairdog said:

Nah man, scrap the block. Aluminum blocks can't be overheated for more than a couple seconds before shit hits the fan. A new block is around 2 grand from Subaru. More worth your time getting a new bottom end with peace of mind rather than boring it/honing it and dropping new pistons in that may not be gapped right.

• 3 months later...

Been a minute since I visited this thread. I still have done anything with the car. It’s just sitting in the back yard right now. Anyone know where I can either get a new or used motor in or around Atlanta?  Or a good place that can build a motor for me? I haven’t given up on it yet. I want to get it going again so my daughter can start driving it next summer when she gets her license. 

Parts-com seems to be pretty spendy in your area for well used engines.

Seems like a new short block is the best choice. But that’s a bit of work to do the swap.

Depends on how much work you are willing to take on? Not a terrible swap, but would require a fair few tools to do it properly…