LegacyGT.com

Timing belt interval by time

Just a little PSA here.  I've always been skeptical about the 10 year interval, but I've always followed it (when miles were low) anyway cause I'm anal like that.  Well, the '05 LGT manual I just bought had 70K miles and exactly 11 years on the belt, all in the Pacific Northwest.  I decided to replace the belt, and here's what I found.  There were much larger cracks than these; some went 90% of the way across the belt.  The belt is hard like a rock.  Luckyyy....

Cracked timing belt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep, that ten year thing is not "fake news". I replaced the belt on my 09 Spec B at 10 years, and about the same mileage.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a 2010 fifth gen, bought it with about 105k miles on it and got around to changing the timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys at 107k almost 10 years from its build date. The timing belt was still flexible with no cracking, but it had been skimmed of alot of rubber because one of the ?guides? had shifted and was digging into the belt. Was a real shock to pull the covers off an find tons of rubber shavings and I am pretty sure it skipped a tooth.