LegacyGT.com

Hey Fellas, what brake pads are you using? 2014 Outback

I need to replace my wife's pads and have never worked on her 2014, just all my more vintage subarus.  I went with ceramics on my 99 last time and they seem to be working great.  Looking for best prices on the proper pads.  Thanks fellas.  I did try a search, but it became a daunting task without any obvious topic on the pads you fellas use.  

Is the car a daily driver used for grocery runs and the like? OEM pads are going to be just fine, that or whatever cheap ones you can find at NAPA. They'll be nice and quiet and last a long time and stop nicely in all weather conditions. NAPA also has a great return policy. Cheapest prices you can find for brake pads will likely be on Rockauto, but the quality of pads you can get for their low price of 9 bucks might be a bit suspect.

If you want a more aggressive pad with a higher temp range for mountain passes or the like then Akebono makes a good pad called the ASP1539, but expect pedal feel to be funky when it's freezing outside and for the pads to dust your wheels more and make more noise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pleides said:

Is the car a daily driver used for grocery runs and the like? OEM pads are going to be just fine, that or whatever cheap ones you can find at NAPA. They'll be nice and quiet and last a long time and stop nicely in all weather conditions. NAPA also has a great return policy. Cheapest prices you can find for brake pads will likely be on Rockauto, but the quality of pads you can get for their low price of 9 bucks might be a bit suspect.

If you want a more aggressive pad with a higher temp range for mountain passes or the like then Akebono makes a good pad called the ASP1539, but expect pedal feel to be funky when it's freezing outside and for the pads to dust your wheels more and make more noise.

It is a daily driver and she drives it through the mountains quite a bit too, during the winters as well.  I think I will just get the OEM from NAPA.  

I like the Stoptech Street Performance pads, now known as Stoptech Sport.  

I went from stock brakes, to STI Brembos with OE pads, then replaced the OE pads with the Stoptech pads.  Very big difference!  Very good bite and more linear feel, and reasonable dust.

I imagine even with stock calipers they will give the same improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1